Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2003 7:31:59 AM EST
I'm still mapping things out for my first AR. Pretty sure I'll buy a J&T kit with a flattop. I don't know whether or not to get the removable carry handle with it though.

I will not be putting a scope on the gun any time soon, although I want the option. So I can pay an extra $85 for the removable carry handle, or skip the handle and buy an ARMS #40 rear sight for $96.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Right now I really like the ARMS idea. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:09:25 AM EST
FWIW, from a relative newby on this site, your idea of the ARMS rear sounds like a good idea long term, if you're sure you're eventually going to mount some kind of optical sight. I wouldn't want to rely on the ARMS over the long haul for my only sighting system, but if you mount an Aimpoint/ACOG/Reflex later, you will need some type of BUIS anyway, so why spend money for a carry handle & sight you probably won't use after that? Just an opinion from a deputy sheriff who uses his AR for an entry gun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:17:27 AM EST
Depending on the optic, you could cut the carry handle down and use that as the BUIS, so it wouldn't necessarily be a waste to get one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:25:12 AM EST
Get the A3 type top. You'll not regret it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:29:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:05:36 PM EST
Thanks for the advice guys! I think I will go without the carry handle and buy an ARMS rear sight. NCCop, It sounds like you have the rifle I want to build. I do plan on adding optics on down the road. Since I'm still new to the AR scene, can someone explain to me what BUIS means? Thanks again, Scott
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:23:24 PM EST
Watertower, Back Up Iron Sights is what I was referring to. Sorry about that. Check the GG&G website (www.gggaz.com) for their BUIS choices. My entry gun is a Law Enforcement Only Bushmaster flat-top, 16" collapsible stock. I have the GG&G scout length rail with the MAD flip up rear sight, and a Trijicon Reflex II optical sight. It also has a Surefire under-barrel light, and a Giles sling (see www.thewilderness.com). I have an Aimpoint red dot ordered to replace the Reflex, since I found it isn't bright enough in dark rooms when you come from bright sun outside (for example crack houses and meth labs???). Except for the Reflex, I have been very happy with the package. Hope you get yours set up the way you want it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:29:47 PM EST
Your istink is correct as the spring back into battery #40 is the most rugged and will not fall down if hit by a branch or sleeve like the push up sights. Good Shootin, Jack
Top Top