Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2003 8:31:59 AM EDT
I'm still mapping things out for my first AR.  Pretty sure I'll buy a J&T kit with a flattop.  I don't know whether or not to get the removable carry handle with it though.  

I will not be putting a scope on the gun any time soon, although I want the option.  So I can pay an extra $85 for the removable carry handle, or skip the handle and buy an ARMS #40 rear sight for $96.  

Any thoughts or suggestions?  Right now I really like the ARMS idea.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, from a relative newby on this site, your idea of the ARMS rear sounds like a good idea long term, if you're sure you're eventually going to mount some kind of optical sight. I wouldn't want to rely on the ARMS over the long haul for my only sighting system, but if you mount an Aimpoint/ACOG/Reflex later, you will need some type of BUIS anyway, so why spend money for a carry handle & sight you probably won't use after that? Just an opinion from a deputy sheriff who uses his AR for an entry gun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Depending on the optic, you could cut the carry handle down and use that as the BUIS, so it wouldn't necessarily be a waste to get one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the A3 type top. You'll not regret it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice guys!  I think I will go without the carry handle and buy an ARMS rear sight.  

NCCop,
It sounds like you have the rifle I want to build.  I do plan on adding optics on down the road.  

Since I'm still new to the AR scene, can someone explain to me what BUIS means?  Thanks again,
Scott
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Watertower, Back Up Iron Sights is what I was referring to. Sorry about that. Check the GG&G website (www.gggaz.com) for their BUIS choices.
My entry gun is a Law Enforcement Only Bushmaster flat-top, 16" collapsible stock. I have the GG&G scout length rail with the MAD flip up rear sight, and a Trijicon Reflex II optical sight. It also has a Surefire under-barrel light, and a Giles sling (see www.thewilderness.com). I have an Aimpoint red dot ordered to replace the Reflex, since I found it isn't bright enough in dark rooms when you come from bright sun outside (for example crack houses and meth labs???). Except for the Reflex, I have been very happy with the package. Hope you get yours set up the way you want it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Your istink is correct as the spring back into battery #40 is the most rugged and will not fall down if hit by a branch or sleeve like the push up sights.
Good Shootin, Jack
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top