Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/3/2002 8:33:30 AM EDT
Ok, I've been here lurking and reading my eyes out for like three days now. Seem to have more questions now than when I started.

I will be using my new 1st AR .223 A3 type top to get used to the shooting characteristics of this fine weapon. I will be mostly doing 100 yd and beyond paper shooting, but will graduate to some CQC training at a friends range. After that I'm sure it will be an even mix of the above mentioned.

Question is....Do I need a scope, dot sights, holo HUD type, illuminated like the Trigicons ACOG's?

I'm thinking that just a good strong scope with a decent 40mm objective would be adequate for my needs. But then I think fixed power or variable and I start running myself in circles again. With my limited experience I really have no idea what I NEED.

Any suggestions, links, pics, prices?
TIA
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Most scopes that are ideal for target shooting at 100+ yards will be horrible for CQB, and vice versa.  Rather than make a compromise (like the various ACOGs), get two scope with repeat-zero mounts.  I'd suggest a variable Bushnell Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch, and then get an Aimpoint when you are ready for the CQB stuff.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My personal opinion is that you should be comfortable with them before moving on to an optic. C4
View Quote

C4,

I totally agree with this statement. The iron sights on My Bushy are really good. I do plan on getting really good with them before I get something else. Just looking to the future.

Link Posted: 12/3/2002 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My personal opinion would be to get an EOTech/Aimpoint and co-witness it so that you have backup sights.
C4
View Quote

As a follow up. When you say co-witness, do you mean that you can use the iron sights at the same time as the optics?
In other words - your sighting on your rear sight, looking through the optics at the front sight.

Stop me before I confuse myself.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
It's best to get firmiliar with Iron sights on any rifle before putting any kind of optic on it. This does exclude optic only rifles however.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I use scopes cause I'm an old fart and can't see anymore.  Young pups should be able to shoot a knat in the ass at 300 meters with an open sight.
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Young pups should be able to shoot a knat in the ass at 300 meters with an open sight.
View Quote

OK, I guess I qualify, I'm 37. I'll be leaving them iron sights on there for a while and looking for warmer weather so I can start shooting at gnats. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As a follow up. When you say co-witness, do you mean that you can use the iron sights at the same time as the optics?
In other words - your sighting on your rear sight, looking through the optics at the front sight.
View Quote

I use an Aimpoint CompM set up at the front of the receiver and on the same plane as the iron sights.  The red dot floats around over the front sight, so you have to get used to ignoring that image and just placing the dot on target.  With the red dot turned off you can use a flip-up rear sight and simply sight through the Aimpoint optics tube.  In a pinch if the dot goes out, you can even use the optics tube itself as sort of a ghost ring rear sight for really short work.  The sighting radius is certainly much better than the back up irons on the TA01NSN.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top