Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 1:21:54 AM EDT
Dissapointing day today. After I finished my SPR build, I decided to sight in my SS10x42M at 200 yards for the zero. I set the pods down and finally started hitting paper at 200 after about 25 rounds. But they never stayed consistant. It was always " 3" high, 2" left " or something like that and I would adjust appropriately. Then my next shot would be something like " 3" low, 2" left ". ITS VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!

Anyone have some tips or anything? I'm using my own loads. 24gr VARGET, 77gr SMKs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure that the scope rings and mount are tight. I had the same thing happen to me, and it turned out to be a loose screw on my ARMS mount. I applied Loc-Tite, retightened it, and proceeded to zero quite easily.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Dissapointing day today. After I finished my SPR build, I decided to sight in my SS10x42M at 200 yards for the zero. I set the pods down and finally started hitting paper at 200 after about 25 rounds. But they never stayed consistant. It was always " 3" high, 2" left " or something like that and I would adjust appropriately. Then my next shot would be something like " 3" low, 2" left ". ITS VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!

Anyone have some tips or anything? I'm using my own loads. 24gr VARGET, 77gr SMKs.

Bite the bullet and buy a box of Winchester 69 gr match, Federal, or Rmington.  Compare these results with your handloads.  Also the advice above on the scope mount/rings is good.
Also defoul the copper from your bore & remove whatever muzzle device you may have installed.  In other words, remove as many variables as possible and/or substitute with known performers.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the "control" ammo and scope mount/rings check.  

You do have a good scope right?  Not some rubberized gun show shit?
(we had a guy show up to precision rifle with one of those! )
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Larue SPR mount and all the screws are tight and locktited. I feel no noticible wobbling in the scope. Mount is secure to the flat top upper.

I have an ADCO Ops Inc break....how would that alter my zero?

I have some BH 77's too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"I have a Larue SPR mount and all the screws are tight and locktited. I feel no noticible wobbling in the scope. Mount is secure to the flat top upper...."

CB: Good mount, should not be an issue.

"I have an ADCO Ops Inc break....how would that alter my zero?.."

CB: It it can be removed without damage, just try it that way to see...

I have some BH 77's too.

CB: As long its a factoy loading and you have the correct twist.  Next time I would head for the range I'd also have some good quality (American) 55 gr. factory ammo as well.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Make sure the nuts on the throw levers are torqued TIGHT with the supplied wrench. If in doubt, call Mark LaRue.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure everything is TIGHT and SOLID!  Might try 100 yards then 200?
Also might try different ammo?

BTW I bought a Simmons 3x9x40 back in the 80`s cost 30 bucks or less
put it on my 222rem Savage Bolt action
it shoots 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards

So I dont think you really have to pay 800 bucks for a scope to get tight groups?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top