Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/11/2010 6:54:51 PM EDT

At home, trying to sight my aimpoint in with my irons. Problem is, the knobs wont twist anymore to the direction that I need it to in order to zero. What gives?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:25:27 PM EDT
I don't believe that you can with the Larue mount. they make their mounts for lower 1/3 cowitness. so you'll be way to low if your trying to put it on the top of your front post.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:16:16 AM EDT
LaRue now makes a mount for a full and a lower 1/3 cowitness. Anyway I still concerned. Have you tried to laser bore sight the M4? Do you know that your BUIS are on?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:55:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 5:48:12 AM EDT by jlow]
Originally Posted By jjwheeler2:
I don't believe that you can with the Larue mount. they make their mounts for lower 1/3 cowitness. so you'll be way to low if your trying to put it on the top of your front post.

Sorry, but this is not correct. Co-witness means if both the M4 and BUIS are correctly dialed into the target, you should be able to see the target in both sights (thus the term co-witness). If you are looking through the BUIS, the target should sit right on or above your front post (depending on if you aim with the dot in the center of the target or below at 6 O’clock).

The best way to get proper co-witness is to first zero in your rifle with the sight that you are most proficient with. For me, since I have poor eyesight, I zero the M4 in first. Once you have done this, you only have to look through the BUIS and dial the iron sights so that the red dot sits just above your front post. This should work if you have either the absolute or 1/3 co-witness. The only difference between these two is you will see more of your BUIS in the absolute co-witness mounted M4. The only possible reason this fails is if you have a canted front BUIS, in which case you will have to find a fix, but that is off topic for the present.

If you sight in your BUIS first, then all you have to do is mount the M4 and dial the red dot so that it sits on top of your front post.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:42:21 AM EDT
Thank you.
Top Top