Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2003 5:25:57 PM EDT
 I just bought a CAR-15 for $850 and it has the regular upper.  I added a rail/mount on top of the carrying handle so that I can use the open sights when I like.  I plan on using the rifle for general plinking and some prairie dog/coyote hunting back home in Wyoming.  My budget is about $500.  
 The rifle is a PWA lower w/ collapsible buttstock (of course) and a Bushmaster upper.  16" barrel w/ a 1 in 9 twist.  
 Should I go for a 2x Aimpoint or a conventional  pistol scope for size constraints?  Any suggestions are welcome.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Any thoughts on this?

http://www.ketmer.com/ketmer/ior?set=01,3fa41d0c&geometry=4x3-1-04
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
 Right now I'm trying to choose between the IOR 6x30 SUper M2, the IOR 6x42 tactical, and just about any Aimpoint 2x.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#3]
 Any opinions?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Might look at the Nikon, or the Bushnell Elite scopes. The IOR scopes are prety good, but for varmits the others might fit the bill better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The 2x aimpoint is a bad idea but the IOR may be worthwhile.  I will say that the mechanical adustments on my 4x IOR M2 are very finicky and sensitive making the scope difficult to zero, could just be a flaw with mine though.  The IOR scopes are also much larger than they appear on their website.  I would also probably recommend looking into low power variable, 1" tube, Nikons or even Leupold, could still get something pretty decent from them for under $500.  They would probably have more eye relief and may be smaller to boot.  Definitely compare scope dimensions and weight between brands/models, you don't want a big honking scope hanging off your carry handle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
 People are trying to talk me into a flat top upper receiver but I just can't justify spending that much right now.  So I definitely don't want a huge scope hanging off of my CAR-15 :(
 This is driving me crazy!  Don't you guys know Marines can't afford all of this high priced stuff?!  
 Once your IOR is zeroed, do you have any problems w/ it?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#7]
How close can you get to a prairie dog town? 100 yards or better, I hope.  Not saying you can't hunt P-dogs with your rifle, but it's certainly not configured for hunting them.  Small target require accurate rifles and the proper ammo.  Wouldn't want to leave a bunch of wounded and suffering animal behind, would you?

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#8]
 OK, we have 34,000 acres in Wyoming.  You can get to about 100 yards of a prairie dog town but the towns are huge and I plan on shooting out to at least 500 yards.  BUT, if I can shoot to 500 yards accurately w/ open sights using a Marine Corps M16A2, I think I just might be able to do a bit better w/ my CAR-15 and a good scope.  As far as wounded and suffering animals, I'll worry more about out livestock stepping in prairie dog holes and less about some rodents that carry bubonic plague and eat our grass.  That's just how it works in Wyoming.  Not trying to be cruel to animals or anything.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Highly doubt you will have any decent accuracy at 500 yards with a 16" 1X9 twist.  That's an awful lot of drop in the round.

You asked for opinions.

Mine is that of you need the right tool for the job.  A highly accurzed 16" free floated AR, configured with the correct optics for varmints up to 500 yards, maybe, a 20" to 24", yes but not a standard 16" A2.    
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
 Yeah, I got carried away.  I just think of P-dogs as pests.  Sorry about that.
 I'm not planning on CQB or anything, I just want a good scope I can use for p-dogs and the occasional coyote.  The IOR 6x32 Super M2 looks pretty good so far but I think at 12.5" it may be too big for my CAR-15.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
34 thousand acres?!?! What you own a county?
I would buy a mortor or a 105mm if I had all that room.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#12]
 Cattle ranch :)  
 Any ideas on a short general purpose scope for a CAR-15?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The 2x Aimpoint is one of the least liked scopes on the board so I wouldn' go for it based on all of the negitive posts. 2x will no way be enough for hunting varmints out to 500 yards. You might think of a variable power that goes to at least 12x.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
ATN 5x33L?

BDC from 100 - 500 yards, and costs less than $200.

I really REALLY like the IOR M2 4x, but I haven't gotten around to saving the extra $140.

I'm setting up my AR to do my own similar (but closer range) hole digging pest hunting... Armadillos.

My only issue with the ATN is the lighted red reticle will probably wash out against the red-filtered light from my Surefire.  (white light = surprisingly fast moving target)
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
34 thousand acres?!?! What you own a county?
I would buy a mortor or a 105mm if I had all that room.
View Quote

Now that pest control!

Baxshep, there are extended rail mount for A2 handles which will allow for mounting longer scopes.  To keep the accuracy to a maximum, you will probably need to "bed" the mount in the handle and use locktite on the screw.

Here seems to be a pretty good deal at Castle Arms for a M2:

IOR M2 Tactical Scope Package - includes A2 carry mount & 30mm Stanag rings $350.00

Here is the link: [url]http://www.castle-arms.com/index-accessories.htm[/url].

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#16]
A 16" carbine is more than adequate for hunting ground squirrels or praire dogs in Montana or Wyoming.

I usually get just as many or more with my pistol as I do using my 16" varmint rifle.

They're all over the place here.

And don't worry about them suffering long. The other gophers in their family end their misery very quickly by eating them (then the targets multiply). Usually 99.9% of the time a hit with a .223 HP makes tossed salad for their buddies though at any range.

I think something like a 2-7 compact leupold mounted on the carry handle would be a nice setup for plinking and popping pdogs out to 250-300 yds.

We've used 4x scopes on .223s and 06s for hunting dogs and if you have a nice solid rest you can hit them very far away even with a 4x.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#17]
 I am trying to decide right now on what lenght of scope would acceptable on my CAR-15.  I already have a rail mount with Loctite on the screw so I'm one step closer.  The IOR Super M2 seems like it would be great at 6x30 but is 12.5" too long?  In a smaller scope is the IOR M2 4x worth the extra $$ over the ATN?  I am researching the Leupolds as well...
 Thanks for all the input so far!  I usually hunt p-dogs w/ a 22-250 but I had all of these spare 30 rd mags just waiting to be used...
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#18]
 Hmmm, IOR 6x30 Super M2 w/ rings for $419.00?  Very tempting at www.swfa.com
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]
 The Leupolds looks good since they're shorter and the brand name but the IOR seems more powerful and definitely more ruggedized.  Also, the illuminated MP7 reticle seems nice though I haven't used one personally.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Well the 4x M2 is 8.75 inches long and some have posted in the past who have attached a 4x to their carry handle and thought it was too awkward.  When I got my 4x M2 I was surprised with how big it was, although I think it has to do a lot with it having a 30mm tube.  I have it attached to a flattop and it works well in that configuration.  Haven't had the scope long enough to truely determine how robust it is and how well it keeps zero since I have it on a QD mount that I remove each time I transport the rifle.  Still have a lot of fiddling to do with the scope, mount, and rifle before I could give any real insight.

I would say that if the scope is too big, you could always get a flattop later down the road and transfer it to that.  Still think a leupold or nikon in the 2-7x range with 1" tube would be a pretty good choice although it would not look very tactical.  I would lean towards the nikon due to price and low recoil of AR-15, plus nikons have great glass, possibly even better than leupolds.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#21]
 Man, those compact Nikons at www.swfa.com are PRICEY!  Everybody think a Leupold 3x9x33 would do what I want?  What scope rings should I get for the Leupold?  It's a toss-up between the Leupold and the IOR 6x32 right now.  Isn't the IOR more powerful though?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#22]
baxshep,
How about a Burris compact 4-12x32?  You can get one with a matte finish, adjustable objective, and the ballistic plex reticle for about $300.  That should fit your size and budget requirements and be pretty effective on prairie dogs.  From what I've seen and heard, Burris scopes are of good quality, especially per dollar spent.  I think any of their compacts would work well on the carrying handle, unless you need a tactical appearance.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top