Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2010 10:03:26 AM EDT
Recently I bought a rear diopter sight from a Sig556 rifle for an AR build I am doing.  It is a lower profile and the matching Sig front sight is dovetail so it won’t mount on my quad-rail.

What front sights are out there that would be a lower profile to line up with the Sig rear sight?  Would either of these work or am I destined to get a riser for the rear? (which I am trying to avoid because it looks chinsy to me.)

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Troy-Stubby-Front-Sight-60p1306.htm

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Troy-Low-Profile-Micro-Sights-60p1243.htm

PS - Said sight w/ riser I am trying to avoid buying.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Troy Makes a Micro seris of flip ups. Not sure if they are the same height as the sig, but they are short.

Here they are
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
If you just want to use that as a cool and different rear peep sight, it hardly matters. However, if you intend to use it as a Diopter sight, you need a comlimenting front sight. Your sight must have a closed circle front sight ring, and a post, the end of which is in the exact center of the ring.  Forgive me if you already know how a diopter sight works, but I am assuming you don't because of the front sights you are looking at.

The short version is, the eye will naturally align a circle within a circle, or even a series of circles. So, you look through the rear diopter, which is the first circle, and your eye centers the front sight ring, which is the second circle. The point of aim is the center of the front circle. Globe style diopters have a series of circles and no post at all. Most have a post, that terminates in the exact center of the front ring. This is important, because it means you cannot use your front sight post to adjust for elevation. It goes to the center of the ring and stays there. So, if that rear sight is not adjustable for elevation, you are SOL.

Anyway, I recommend the POF front sight shown below. Yes, you will have to use the riser, but that's what you get for trying to use Swiss sights on a Yankee gun. I use one on my .22 upper and my kids are amazing with it. Diopter sights are very precise, and almost universal on Olympic shooting rifles. Despite the odd shape of the POF sight, the front ring is a perfect circle when viewed as part of the sight picture.

http://www.pof-usa.com/parts/arparts.htm
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Figured as much.  Guess that's what I get for buying on impulse.  I'll just get the riser and be done with it.  Thanks.,..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top