Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2010 4:26:28 PM EDT
I'm under the impression that most 9mm uppers run as blowback operation as opposed to DI.  Is anyone running a blowback system without a buffer?

It sure would be neat for my next build to be a 9mm SBR with a folding stock.

Anybody else have this idea before?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]
They're blowback, but they still need a spring and buffer.
Unless the spring is integral to the upper, a sidefolder is a non-starter.
Blowback .22s work because of the short stroke and self contained nature of the bolt assembly, none of which ever moves past the rear of the upper.
Pistol caliber setups typically have a bolt carrier just like DI .223 setups, whether blowback of DI. this recoils into the buffer tube the same as normal DI .223 setups.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Anybody else have this idea before?

Have another beer and come up with another idea.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
working on the beer part now.

thanks for the replies.  it was just something i had stuck in the back of my mind.  i guess i'll have to shift my side folder ideas back down to 22lr.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top