Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2003 4:56:00 PM EDT
I want a side sling adaptor for my 20" A2 rifle. I have standard A2 handguards. I have been looking at the mounts that wrap around the barrel, and the mounts (like the GG&G) that mount on the front sight tower. I'm leaning toward the GG&G.

Any recommendations? Eventually I'll float the barrel in a RAS or a SIR, but for now this will have to do.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the 'regular' mounts because they don't do anything to obstruct the view when I shoulder the rifle.  The mounts that clamp around/through the front sight look like they'd be a distraction.

I recently bought a side sling mount from sawlesales.com and put it on my A2 barrel.  I think RRA may be selling them now too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Although one might reasonably think that front sight mounts like the GG&G Sling Thing would interfere with one's view of the target, in practice it's no bother at all.

Additionally, the higher mounting allows the rifle to sit more vertical when hanging on the sling and therefore the rifle sways less during movement. Also the Sling Thing, unlike the wrap-around Velcro models, will not come loose at inopportune moments, like crawling through a culvert, and make you look like a complete asshole. How do I know this?  Don't ask.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are thinking of the GG&G Tower swivel, you might want to consider the KAC Sight Tower side sling swivel - it's just as simply, but uses the KAC QD pushbutton swivel so it can be detached instantly, replaced with a QD eyelet, and both can be used on either side with no changes...
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:38:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. Still working on this. Any other thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm backing Mike's rec on this:  The KAC front tower mount with qd swivel.  I like to keep my gear as streamlined as possible and things wrapped around the stocks and handguards affixed to slings strikes me as overly complex when you can have a fitting with swivel.  The KAC qd setup allows more flexibility and keeps the weapon at the right spot when hanging in front of you.  I think KAC designs and makes better products than GG&G as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I went simple on mine. I just use the USGI side sling adapter. The one that they use for the M4 and for M203 equipped rifles.
[img]http://www.usarmory.com/ftp/15ssla.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#7]
FYI: GG&G also makes a QD Sling Thing. I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Another plug for the KAC - the same QD swivels/eyelets also work on the Vltor stock - the Vltor stocks use them as OEM.  If you have the KAC unit and Vltor, taking your sling off is a snap, you won't ever have to unthread it from the swivels.  This is what I do so I can change slings at a moments notice...
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Both GGG and KAC make an identical sight tower + rear stock QD mount.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Both GGG and KAC make an identical sight tower + rear stock QD mount.
View Quote

rlitt, are you sure they are identical?  The uncle mike's QD swivel supplied with the GG&G units aren't the same as the units supplied with the KAC.  IMO, the button release on the KAC unit is better, though as to attachment I don't know if they are any different.  The Vltor comes with the KAC swivels BTW, not to say that the uncle mike's swivels wouldn't work - haven't tried them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#11]
The mounts are identical in design, but the QD swivels are slightly different.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top