Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 3:19:34 PM EDT
I've always heard/read that a *stripped* AR15 bolt should be able to spin freely inside the carrier when the cam pin is removed.  Is this not true?  Every bolt and carrier I've ever used has done this.

However, I've now encountered two new LMT bolts that severely bind inside their new LMT carriers when trying to rotate them.  Bushmaster and Colt bolts spin freely inside these LMT carriers; the LMT bolt rubs, but not binds, inside the Colt and Bushmaster carriers.

Is there anything wrong with these LMT bolts, or are they just super-tight and need to be broken in?

Also, the LMT bolt face has a very light ring machined into it in the exact location of the "fired primer dirt ring" left after firing.  What's the purpose of this ring, and why have I never seen it on a bolt before?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure mine does not "spin" inside the bolt carrier. You can turn it, but you can't spin it like a top or something. For what it's worth, I have an all factory parts Bushmaster and have never had any failures or stoppages with it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure mine does not "spin" inside the bolt carrier. You can turn it...

Can you turn it a full 360°?  Or about 90° before it stops?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:56:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure mine does not "spin" inside the bolt carrier. You can turn it...

I doubt it can spin 360 degrees.  How will the ejector work?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said stripped Bolt. I assume that means no Bolt Cam Pin. Mine do rotate 360 degrees without the Cam Pin. Tight but free.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Correct, no cam pin.  

Surely others out there have bought the standard LMT bolt and carrier.  There's 50 companies out there selling them right now...  Does anyone else have LMT bolts that can't be rotated 360°?

These LMT bolts are somehow different (possibly out of spec?) from other bolts I have.  I'm trying to determine whether this non-rotatable bolt condition with the LMT is acceptable or not.  Perhaps the LMT is just fine as-is, and the Colt and Bushmaster bolts are on the loose end of the specification?  Or maybe these LMT bolts are defects.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:36:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Does it work?  If it does I wouldn't worry about it.  If it doesn't then start asking the questions.  Just my $0.02.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhh the EJECTOR is on the bolt face and spinning the bolt doesn't cause any interaction with it at all.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Tweak for reference:

Does the bolt rotate if you remove the gas rings?

If a bolt will NOT rotate sans gas rings, what does that mean?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top