Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 9:55:29 PM EDT
Technique and or equipment question.  While handling a carbine/M4 config, I notice that I can't get  a good shoulder weld.  I don't have a problem with a normal stock of any kind except for that of a telestock.

Any pointers/tips/advice anyone could give to improve this?  Should I grab a butt stock cover so it feels like I have an entire back end of a stock?  A new telestock perhaps?  Anyone else encounter this problem before?

Also, when receiving a new AR/M4, what do you  usually do first?  I had a LEO tell me that he replaces the clips with what he calls 'Jesus Clips' because it'd take an act of God to get them to loosen or you yell out, "JESUS!" when tightening the gun up.  He also changes the firing pin to something else.  Any other firsts out there and any specifics on products and the like that has worked for you?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The telestock is pretty small but the M4 style is good, others would sell you on a vltor, magpul, ect.  although there is nothing wrong with a full stock.

Just get a NEW manufactured COLT bushmaster rockriver ect. and learn the gun and parts before you start modding it.

Where in ID are you?  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a new Bushmaster and just curious what people have been doing to improve their rifles/carbines from past experiences.  Firing pins being unreliable, rattles in their guns, etc and so forth like that.  Experience is a great teacher and I'm sure there are plenty of people here with practical experience to pass their wisdom onto newbs like me.

And I'm in the Boise area.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
You could read through the troubleshooting forum and get an idea of the problems people have with their rifles.  Bushmaster should have no problems.

I'll likely be out at the orchard training grounds tomorrow at 5:30 or 6 with a pocket full of shells.

I usually hang out a few miles south of the Pleasant Valley motorcycle track, just south of the transmission powerlines
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Aha.  I doubt that my Bushmaster will have any problems either but people mod their guns for 'improvement' and I was curious if there were anything that anyone did religiously whenever they get a new rifle.

And I usually go out way past the riding track into the desert and into the National Guard range area like you do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
All I did with mine was oil it up and shoot.  see ya out there...I gotta get some sleep
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
On another note for those of you out there, does anyone use an added cheek piece to their stocks?  If so, which ones?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Im going to sound like an ass.

But maybe you should read abit more on the forums.
There is a great FAQ about Collapsable stocks in one of the AR forums.
And as for the "Jesus clips" I have no clue of what your talking about.
You shouldn't have to add or replace anything on a New bushmaster to get a good shootin gun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoot, clean, repeat. Those are the only things you need to do w/ your new Bushy. WTF is a Jesus clip? Sounds like you talked to a real dumbass.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually the Jesus clip that I have heard referenced to is the firing pin retaining cotter pin. The reason being is that if you lose it you'll be praying to Jesus you find it before the Sgt comes runnin. But that E7 must be a real dumbass.. ya know what do you learn in Army Special Forced for 18 years. I think you just misunderstood you're friend. If he meant replace he probably meant to replace the cotter pin with the solid firing pin clip, I forget who makes it. Thats the only thing I can think of that makes sense. Think before you speak and call someone a dumbass next time.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The KNS perma Pin
I have them in my ARs

I got tired of having to bend them back after about 300 rounds

cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cart=182308&cat=11&
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#11]
If that was the case you could call pretty much any small part a Jesus clip couldn't you? The way he worded his post he made the guy sound like a real dumbass. I call them as I see them. Especially with all the stupid stories you get from gun shop guys as well as some LEO's. DPMS and KNS both make a solid firing pin retainer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats it! Yeah, I think I will have to invest in a couple of them for my AR's too. Seems like a very good investment.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I need one too. KNS makes good stuff. I should've gotten one when I got my anti walk TCG pins.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Call it like you see it.  I'm just repeating what I heard.  Whether he is a dumbass or not, that's your decision.  As for reading through the forums, I have read through choosing the telestock for you posting many times.  What I was inquiring about was whether anyone there would be able to assist me and give some advice as to how to how to see if I could get a better shoulder weld with a regular telestock or if anyone did anything besides just go out and buy a new telestock.

Thanks NUcadet07, JBOWLES, and YELLOWV for your info on the firing pin clip and your endorsement for getting one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Check this out
duostock.com
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
On another note for those of you out there, does anyone use an added cheek piece to their stocks?  If so, which ones?

Cheek pieces on ARs tend to interfere with with the charging handle. I have used split-sleeve pipe insulation but it has to be removed to operate charging handle. I considered gluing a pad to my face but my reputation does not need any more dubious publicity.

Regards,
Mild Bill
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
..Firing pins being unreliable,

WTF are you talking about?  Don't go screwing with the firing pin - the stock one is perfectly fine.  And whatever you do - don't get that stupid titanium firing pin.

Experience is a great teacher and I'm sure there are plenty of people here with practical experience to pass their wisdom onto newbs like me.

Go out and shoot the darn thing, stop worring about modifing a perfectly functional rifle.

Take a carbine class from a reputable instructor (best money you will ever spend on the rifle - better than any gadget).
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Yeah, I think I will have to invest in a couple of them for my AR's too. Seems like a very good investment.

Remember the Army tried those in the 60's and went to the cotter pin as an improvement (and has kept it for almost 40 years).

Most of the cotter pin problems IMHO can be traced to the non-shrouded bolt carriers.  Use the RRA 'improved' bold carrier or an M16 bolt carrer and I'll bet bent firing pin retaining pins become a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#19]
You could always try putting a rubber buttpad on your telestock. It might improve the feel for you. Personally I can shoot very comfortably with an M4 stock. I am sure a Vltor, Magpul or LMP sopmod would improve the feel but none are cheap. You may also prefer the straight butt of the old style telestock to the angled butt of the newer M4 type.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Keebsley and luckypunk;  How often are you guys out there by the military range/prison?  Usually I go to blackscreek and wander around there, but after being out on pleasant valley that may be a better place.  Less trash and idiots out there it seemed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Keebsley and luckypunk;  How often are you guys out there by the military range/prison?  Usually I go to blackscreek and wander around there, but after being out on pleasant valley that may be a better place.  Less trash and idiots out there it seemed.

I try to get out there at least every wed. after work,   I will load up and be out there at 6ish today. but it is friggen hot and might start going later in the evening.  look for a white van.    
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My schedule varies and so I'm not out there on a regular basis but if I am, it's usually a Friday or Saturday morning.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:23:37 AM EDT
[#23]
JESUS clip....?

How about a JESUS detent!  You know what I'm talking about.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top