Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/30/2004 3:10:57 PM EST
From listening to you guys about all the moly dry film coatings, different finishes, and teflon I am wondering if cleaning the mag exterior has any effect. Everytime I buy a USGI 30 or 20 rounder I clean like hell with a rag and CLP, and everytime the rag gets black fast. Should I just leave mag exteriors alone or can they be cleaned? Many thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:22:00 PM EST
I've never worried about cleaning my mags, inside or out. I'll wipe dirt and mud off the outside but that's it. I may tear them down and clean the insides if they're giving me problems.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:25:59 PM EST
i dont clean them at all

and they still work
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:43:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2004 3:47:42 PM EST by OLY-M4gery]
Sure they can be cleaned.

No lubricant, or solvent should go on, in, or around a magazine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:44:52 PM EST
I sprits mine with Seltzer!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:06:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:
i dont clean them at all

and they still work

+1 thousands of rounds thru mine and they have never been cleaned.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:56:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By 1Gunner:
From listening to you guys about all the moly dry film coatings, different finishes, and teflon I am wondering if cleaning the mag exterior has any effect. Everytime I buy a USGI 30 or 20 rounder I clean like hell with a rag and CLP, and everytime the rag gets black fast. Should I just leave mag exteriors alone or can they be cleaned? Many thanks.

that is a stupid thing to do, you have just worn off the finish in 5 seconds then it would have taken in 2 years. The reason for the rag getting black is the moly dry film finish coming off.

Moral of story- dont clean your mags unless they get dirt or mud in them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:28:12 AM EST
Echo comments on NOT using CLP, oils, Ssolvents, etc.
When cleaning is needed, dissassemble, clean with soap/water, rinse & dry with clean rags.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:06:01 AM EST
Thanks, so I guess I have to refinish them now with the Perma Silk G everyone's talking about. You live you learn.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:48:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2004 8:03:25 AM EST by ThePrisoner72]

Originally Posted By Hotgun:
Echo comments on NOT using CLP, oils, Ssolvents, etc.
When cleaning is needed, dissassemble, clean with soap/water, rinse & dry with clean rags.

Hotgun

I spayed some CLP on my mag spring and it got on the back of the follower. I was at the range and everytime the last was round was fired my bolt carrier failed to stay open. Also, the follower on the mag is a little worn on the back. I have new green followers coming from CDNN and I won't put CLP on a mag again.
Top Top