Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 6:38:37 PM EDT
One of my buds has an Oly lower and a God-only-knows upper.  The pivot pin inserts fine, however the takedown pin is almost impossible to get inserted.  To do so, we have to apply awkward pressure to the upper and lower.  It appears to be too tight at the rear of the upper and where the buffer tube inserts into the lower.  Should we attempt to grind the upper just enough for a better fit.......or are we heading for disaster since there is another EASIER and LOGICAL way?  Thanks in advance for your reply...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have any pics of the problem?  If its just tight, but still fits and functions, I would just leave it alone.  If not, its hard to tell without pictures.  

Also, where are you in GA?  Metro Atlanta has a bunch of GA ARFCOMers that can help you.  If you can wait until the next shoot, I'm sure someone will be more than happy to help.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey Ghost.....I'm in Brunswick, GA I don't really get a chance to goto any shoots :-((

Hey Tweak.....We haven't tried to opposite pin insertion thing.  However, even though it works "technically" I would sure not wanna be shooting and have an issue that would require breakdown and not be able to complete the fix.  The buffer tube doesn't protrude from the lower, it is a great fit there so I'm at a loss.

He has a digital camera that I'm gonna borrow and then hoard so I can post pics here oneday, but for now I don't.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:20:48 AM EDT
[#5]
i would gring the pin before the upper.  which part is cheaper?
i had a lower with offset takedown holes... i did just that, dremel the hell out of the rear takedown pin until it fit right.  you could always just tap it in with a rubber mallet too.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Bushy's uppers are notorious for this.  At the top of the rear lug (takedown pin) you will probably notice on each side, a very small raised radius hiding up there in the corner of the lug.  If this IS your case, just dremel a VERY little off of each side until the upper fits snugly into the lower.  I have had to do this several times when mixing busy's uppers with others manufacturer's lowers.  The good news is that you will have a perfect fit when done.  You can use cold blue or Aluminum black to finish the work and you will never be able to tell.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this a new lower?  if so, and you judge it to be out of spec, send it to OLY and get 'em to fix it.  They have a pretty liberal policy on fixing their mistakes.  If it is an older lower...send it to OLY and get 'em to fix it.  Lifetime Guarentee is a wonderful thing.

My old SGW stopsign lower (OLD Oly) is ever so slightly out of spec w/ regards to the takedown pin.  I chose to releave the rear pin hole on my new upper.  Your choice.

HTH
ka
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Some people actually buy this Acu-wedge thing to accomplish what you have...  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Accu-Wedge.......hmm wow, I thought that was to TIGHTEN a receiver, not LOOSEN it!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#10]
sigh... that was a sarcasm...

But I feel your pain.. I have an old Oly lower that has the same problem.  It seems to work ok with an A1 upper but really, really tight with all my A3s.  

I took a little metal off the inside of the upper rear lug hole.  (Elongated the bottom)  And keep a plastic handled flat head when I go to the range.  

No free play between upper and lower... Even better than my Acc-Wedged 24"
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I've seen the same problem with several Oly lowers trying to mate with in spec uppers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry man, bad day here......waiting more than 2 months on a Bushy 24" barrel.  I appreciate all your input on this and I suppose the only synopsis of the problem is that Olympic Arms doesn't really make that great of a product!  I've owned one before selling it and my bud now owns this pain in the ass.........Never again for me, and Bushmaster is treading thin on my patience with this barrel order too!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top