Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2005 3:06:39 PM EDT
Hello,

Should I cut my 16" barrel to a 14.5" witha permanent FH?  It has a Daniel Defense 7.0 rail system, so if I permanently attached it I wouldn't be able to remove it without cutting the FH off, correct?  The 16" just doesn't look good to my eyes.  I don't plan to change anything more to this rifle, but you never know.

Is it worth it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
For the cost  your gonna spend to have it done, go buy a case of ammo and shoot. it's an 1.5" difference.
But I know how you feel about the look. do what ya gotta do to make yourself happy......
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Is it worth it?

You are going to spend about $100 plus have teh chance of screwing up your chrome lining all for looks.

Is that worth it to you?
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it worth it?

You are going to spend about $100 plus have teh chance of screwing up your chrome lining all for looks.

Is that worth it to you?

How can the chrome-lining be screwed up?  I would probably send it to ADCO, and from what I have heard he doesn't screw up to often.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#4]
It will probably cost you about $100, but I'm sure if you let someone skilled do it, like Denny or ADCO, it will turn out perfect.  

Personally, I wouldn't but if you have the money to spend and you want to, then go for it.  You only got one life, do what makes you happy brotha.  Plus, a good smith can remove a FH without having to cut it off.

Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It will probably cost you about $100, but I'm sure if you let someone skilled do it, like Denny or ADCO, it will turn out perfect.  

Personally, I wouldn't but if you have the money to spend and you want to, then go for it.  You only got one life, do what makes you happy brotha.  Plus, a good smith can remove a FH without having to cut it off.

So the permanent attachment can be removed without hacking alarge portion of my barrel?  Will the threading stay intact?
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the permanent attachment can be removed without hacking alarge portion of my barrel?  Will the threading stay intact?

Yes, you can remove the FH without ruining your barrel. I cut my Mini Y Comp and permanently installed a new Phantom without ruining the barrel or the threading. If you want a 14.5 they would then have to cut the barrel and rethread it. I would suggest just buying a new 14.5 barrel with permanently attached Phantom FH. The new barrel won't cost you much more than what you want done anyway. And you can sell the 16 inch barrel if you want. Or use it to start another build.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I know for a fact that if ADCO does it, it will turn out perfect. He has cut down 2 of my chrome lined barrels for SBR projects. I am also a sucker for the 14.5" barrel look. With a 14.5" barrel and Phantom FH you are a little bit past 16"OAL. With a 16" barrel and an A2 FH you are around 17.5" OAL. Not really that big a differnce until you look at them side by side. I would go with what makes you happy. If you like the looks and don't mind spending the money I say go for it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I would leave it be.
Good looking rifle you got there.
You could always save up and get a second upper.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I would probably send it to ADCO, and from what I have heard he doesn't screw up to often.

I'll pass that compliment on to the shop guys.

While you are at it pass mine along too! Your shop guys do great work at a very resonable price, very freaking fast too! From door step to door step with shipping your shop is still faster than the local guys I use to deal with.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
for what it's worth, I'm strongly thinking about getting myself a 14.7 with a2 flashhider.  it's all about looks, and if you wanna get technical, it will save me an ounce or 2 in weight.

If that 16 inch barrel bothers you, cut it down.  Personally, the only 2 AR's I have right now are midlengths, and they are the only 16 inch barrels i will ever own.  They make the most sense to me.  the carbine handguards should be left with the 14.7s on down...

thats my opinion...
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
ADCO cut my 16 inch middy to 16 inches overall with a A2 perm attached.  It is flawless and shoots about 2 MOA with iron sights!!!!!!!  I have used ADCO many times and they have always exceeded my expectations!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Any other comments on this question?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it worth it?

Is that worth it to you?

How can the chrome-lining be screwed up?  I would probably send it to ADCO, and from what I have heard he doesn't screw up to often.

When a chrome lined barrel is cut there is a possibilty of the chrome lining flaking.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd sell your old barrel and buy a new one..

Honestly, that looks okay to me. Looks wise though, I hate the M4 14.5" and 16" and how it sticks so far out past the hand guards..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top