Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2011 5:50:32 PM EDT
I have a chance to buy some older straight 20 rounders for $12 each. They have the "Colt AR-15 CAL .223" w/Pony floorplates like the one in this pic: http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/magazines/colt_556_floorplate_20rd_dalbert.jpg, dull alloy followers & a gray finish on both the body & floorplate.

Are they worth $12?

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I would.
The ones marked .223 instead of 5.5.6 are older.
Also since they have alloy followers makes them old as well.
They are probably from the 70's and at least are preban.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
good mags. back in the day folks paid a high premium for them because of the .223 marking.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
grab them quick.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If seller has a bunch look for the ones with a circle with a 1 inside on bottom left side they are more valuable and are very popular with the grey aluminum floor plate marked .223.  If he has any with Colt/Armalite marked floor plates grab those also.  Doubt if he will have those to sell but you never know.  I've bought them before.  I always enjoy looking through a load of old mags myself.  I learn something new almost every time.  Pretty sure biggerhammer knows all about mags also.  If you see any that look like they snap together with male end on one side and female on the other definately grab those floor plate won't be marked and they are super rare.  He's probably asking the going rate and very good to better than good condition is the key,  although with the rare ones, condition won't really matter as much if all the pieces are there for $12 each. Don't think I'd invest in a truck load of them for asking price but five on ten are nice to have and you can always trade Colts for the other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I like those Colts with the .223 markings.

Link Posted: 1/15/2011 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice variants VAAR.  I'm sure you know, but look at the roll marks for those that don't.  I really like the one on the left,  I don't have one of those.  Was always told to look for the bronze ones.  Tabs are a little different also.  Whats the stamping on the side look like, a C in a box?
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=15527

They're in about the same shape as the second one from the left.

And the only stamping I saw on the bodies was on the front strap, about a half inch or so above the floorplate, like this crappy drawing I made.

Link Posted: 1/16/2011 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=15527

They're in about the same shape as the second one from the left.

And the only stamping I saw on the bodies was on the front strap, about a half inch or so above the floorplate, like this crappy drawing I made.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc317/GoneShootin/stamping.jpg

That marking stands for Universal Industries, and supposedly Colt's Hartford if turned on it's side.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#9]
That marking stands for Universal Industries, and supposedly Colt's Hartford if turned on it's side.

Thanks, My Universals are marked that way but not my Colts. Think I figured that one out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a chance to buy some older straight 20 rounders for $12 each. They have the "Colt AR-15 CAL .223" w/Pony floorplates like the one in this pic: http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/magazines/colt_556_floorplate_20rd_dalbert.jpg, dull alloy followers & a gray finish on both the body & floorplate.

Are they worth $12?  

Gone_Shootin,

Think you could pick some up for those of us in places like NY?

Thanks.

David
Link Posted: 1/17/2011 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If seller has a bunch look for the ones with a circle with a 1 inside on bottom left side they are more valuable and are very popular with the grey aluminum floor plate marked .223.  If he has any with Colt/Armalite marked floor plates grab those also.  Doubt if he will have those to sell but you never know.  I've bought them before.  I always enjoy looking through a load of old mags myself.  I learn something new almost every time.  Pretty sure biggerhammer knows all about mags also.  If you see any that look like they snap together with male end on one side and female on the other definately grab those floor plate won't be marked and they are super rare.  He's probably asking the going rate and very good to better than good condition is the key,  although with the rare ones, condition won't really matter as much if all the pieces are there for $12 each. Don't think I'd invest in a truck load of them for asking price but five on ten are nice to have and you can always trade Colts for the other manufacturers.

I have a couple of the circle 1 mags, what is the significance of them?

Link Posted: 1/17/2011 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Circa 2008, I got all these for $5 a piece

Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a couple of the circle 1 mags, what is the significance of them?

Circle with 1 mags are probably the least produced of the Colt marked.  Nothing fabulous but they are worth a couple bucks more each.  Don't think Colt ever made mags but they have them contracted by others and put their roll mark on them.  The ones without the 1 in the circle, just the circle or upside down marked 1 (basically blems), are more rare but there are many who just collect the different mags.  Kind of a hobby thing.  Only the waffle mags have any real value unless it was a quick couple but I've only seen pics of those.  The standard 20 rd with Armalite/Colt floorplate are kinda rare also.  The floor plate and follower having the real value.  Most will trade or pay a little extra for the ones with the circle.
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Circa 2008, I got all these for $5 a piece

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e398/unclemoak/IMG_0011.jpg

Wha...How...Whe...

Wow.  63 USGI straight 20 round magazines for $5 each?  Just wow.

David
Link Posted: 1/20/2011 5:18:49 AM EDT
[#15]
In 1973 I was picking up new 20 rounders for $2 each............and I still have them
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally had a chance to go back today. I bought all 18 mags.

As you can see they are as I described, except one that has a follower that is shinier than the rest & it's also the only mag that has 5.56 stamped on the floorplate (the rest are stamped .223).

The oddball:

The oddball sitting on top:

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 20 rounder with two tqbs on the bottom broke(same side) how do I save it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:59:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a 20 rounder with two tqbs on the bottom broke(same side) how do I save it.

Pull the floor plate, spring and follower and use them in the body of another 20 round mag.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Pull the floor plate, spring and follower and use them in the body of another 20 round mag.  This.
Probably only a waffle mag would be worth trying to salvage at this time.  If you can weld and have access to equipment and were a glutton for punishment and wanted to do the necessary prep work to still have a mag that wouldn't look right it can be fixed in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I picked up a bunch of Colt 20 rdrs w/alloy followers out of the EE late last year (2010) for $3 each last year. IIRC shipping was included in the total price since I bought them all.

If you can find them cheap you ought to be buying them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I picked up a bunch of Colt 20 rdrs w/alloy followers out of the EE late last year (2010) for $3 each last year. IIRC shipping was included in the total price since I bought them all.

Yeah, I probably got screwed.

But at least I talked him down to $11 each before I agreed to buy.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just look at it this way; 20-round pre-ban magazines generally go for over $20 each in New York.  So by our standards, you got a smoking deal.

Perspective, my man, perspective.

David
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Put together, tightly wrap it in duct tape. If it works, wear out the other end shooting with it.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No you did not get screwed if they are usable.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put together, tightly wrap it in duct tape. If it works, wear out the other end shooting with it.

I wonder if a good silver soldering job would hold it on?

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#26]
If anybody wants some, there are colt 20 rounders for $11 on the ee. I would buy them but I'm from a ban state and he will not ship even if they are completely disassembled. (which is completely legal)
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

If anybody wants some, there are colt 20 rounders for $11 on the ee. I would buy them but I'm from a ban state and he will not ship even if they are completely disassembled. (which is completely legal)

Do they have to be disassembled to ship to a ban state (I always thought it didn't make a difference since they were pre-ban anyway).
ETA: There's a couple ads for some pre-ban 30 rounders as well.

ETA2: There seems to be pre-ban mags coming out of the woodwork over in the EE.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they have to be disassembled to ship to a ban state (I always thought it didn't make a difference since they were pre-ban anyway).

To NJ yes, they have to be dissaembled unfortunately. Other states like NY recognize pre ban status. If they are disassembled then they are legal to ship. Copes Distributing and 44mag.com do this. Once I receive them, then I can fix them for the NJ legal 15 rd limit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

To NJ yes, they have to be dissaembled unfortunately. Other states like NY recognize pre ban status. If they are disassembled then they are legal to ship. Copes Distributing and 44mag.com do this. Once I receive them, then I can fix them for the NJ legal 15 rd limit.

Is NJ the only ban state that doesn't recognize grandfathered pre-ban mags?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top