Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/7/2006 1:13:48 PM EDT
So I was thinking... why not a shotgun assembly in place of the M203? I get the fact that the recoil would be herendous. So why can't this be solved with a change in the shell ballistics or perhaps a change in choke design? As far as legallity ... not sure on that one.

My main question is, Has this ever been attempted?

BTW: nada on the search button reguarding this

Perhaps the hive mind will come to the rescue
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:32:41 PM EDT
What choke would have to do with recoil? The ungodly weight of the shotty and the M16 would eat up most of the recoil.
It's been done for over 20 years. Knights, Ceiner, and I think some other company ahve done them. Search for Master Key.
They are next to useless, except as breaching weapons, and usually a normal shotty is preferred over the Master Key types.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:41:39 PM EDT
Hey! The Indian lookin' guy in Predator (Billy) had one, it must be good.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:49:35 PM EDT
Heh, I guess theres my answer. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:53:19 PM EDT
Search for "masterkey"

It's been done
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:58:10 PM EDT
Here you go.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/knights_masterkey.html
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:15:32 PM EDT
I just run a 12 gauge adapter in my M203, then I can fire 12 gauge rounds. Even slugs aren't that bad in terms of kick. Of course, the weapon system weighs 14 lbs with a fully loaded 30 round mag.....

Adapter on the right.

Now if I could just get some HEDP rounds on a Form 4.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:18:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Scollins:
I just run a 12 gauge adapter in my M203, then I can fire 12 gauge rounds. Even slugs aren't that bad in terms of kick. Of course, the weapon system weighs 14 lbs with a fully loaded 30 round mag.....

Adapter on the right.
home.comcast.net/~scott.collins4/40mm_ammo.jpg

home.comcast.net/~scott.collins4/M4_LMT.jpg

whats the range/accuracy on the 12 ga. through the M203?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:04:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Scollins:

Adapter on the right.
home.comcast.net/~scott.collins4/40mm_ammo.jpg

home.comcast.net/~scott.collins4/M4_LMT.jpg

WOW, That is just plain kickarse!!

What is the minimum barrel length for the 203 assembly BTW?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 8:39:00 PM EDT by Scollins]

Originally Posted By RUSSIANCATKILLA:

whats the range/accuracy on the 12 ga. through the M203?

I haven't done any accuracy testing yet, but I did fire a slug last night at a target in competition. It hit low and right at 25 yards on an IPSC target, and I wasn't really taking my time to line up the shot. The adapter does not have any choke on it, nor does it provides any contact with the slug as it exits the weapon. So it isn't likely to be MOA or anything. It is mostly a close range "Minute of Bad Guy" type munition.

As for buckshot or regular shot, I haven't patterned it yet, but I imagine it would have a similar devasting effect as a shotgun at ranges up to 25 yards. Might have more spread though.

As for the barrel length question, my version is the 9" model. Typically M203's come in 9" or 12" flavors (with 12" versions going on 20" M16s and 9" versions on M4s.)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:14:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ciph:
So I was thinking... why not a shotgun assembly in place of the M203? I get the fact that the recoil would be herendous. So why can't this be solved with a change in the shell ballistics or perhaps a change in choke design? As far as legallity ... not sure on that one.

My main question is, Has this ever been attempted?

BTW: nada on the search button reguarding this

Perhaps the hive mind will come to the rescue

You weren't the only one thinking this, just the most recent

This is an ooooooold concept.

What Billy had in Predator was a homemade shotgun assembly and not the real KAC masterkey.

This topic has been beaten to death.

Search for masterkey on AR15.com or google.

Most knowledgeable guys would recommend a separate SBS if you really want a shotgun.

The masterkey only holds 3 rounds and requires a $200 tax stamp- as does any shotgun with a barrel length under 16".

They are used for breaching doors and not shooting humans at distances...

There is no real minimum barrel length for a flare launcher- 37mm "M203s" are just that- big flare launchers. You can buy the little H&K 19mm flare launcher which has like a 1mm barrel...

Top Top