Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 6:20:08 PM EDT
Well I was helping a friend hual his cabin logs to a lake 4 hours from Anchorage. I brought my newest AR along as I haven't been able to fire it yet. Got out there and the place had like a thousand snow machiners on some charity run buzzin' around. So I stopped on the way back in a gravel pit to heat the barrel up a little. I only a had a few minutes to shoot becuase the guy I was following had to be back at a certain time.

I slapped a 30 rounder in 'er and proceeded to cook bacon but it kept jammin'.... I had brand new 30 round Colt mags, it's got a M1S upper with a new Bushy BCG.... I was shootin' Olympic and Black Hills 55 grainer's.... The thing that stumped me was the rounds were ejecting and falling almost on my right foot! A few of them didn't even eject all the way, there would be a live round in the chamber and a case sticking out of the ejection port.... There are about 50 marks on the brass deflector on the upper. I shot 90 rounds and 15 jammed.....

I had another new BCG in the truck and was gonna change it out and see if that was the problem. But when I returned to the truck the guy I was following drove off, so I figured I better get back on the road, and deal with it another day.....

On a lighter note the EO Tech was dead on at 50 yards and I was able to hit small targets out to 150 yards with the thing. All I did was bore sight it.......

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]

I had a similar problem with a Model 1 Sales upper, but mine was in 6.8mm rather than 5.56.

Try removing the bolt carrier and check to make sure the carrier key is screwed on tightly and that the key is properly staked.  I mean really check to make sure it's staked.  My M1S carrier key had stake markings but they were not deep enought to cause friction on the carrier key bolts, thus my carrier key came loose after a few shots and the feeding problems began.  If your carrier key is loose, then you will either need to stake it on properly yourself or send it back to Model 1.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Install a new extractor spring, like one from Wolffe and/or an O-ring from ADCO or D-Fender from MGI.

Also, look at your ejector to make sure it is not sticking due to a small brass shaving or something.  I use the tip of a bullet and push on the ejector to see if it moves freely.

Lastly, in my expereince, Olympic ammo is shit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I hear what you're saying about the carrier, but the M1S  BCG was in the truck, I was sportin' a Bushy BCG at the time.... I have been scratching my head on this one.... I'll mess with it when I have more time, but yesterday I was in a hurry and couldn't do much in the way of trying different things to locate the problem.

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Install a new extractor spring, like one from Wolffe and/or an O-ring from ADCO or D-Fender from MGI.

Also, look at your ejector to make sure it is not sticking due to a small brass shaving or something.  I use the tip of a bullet and push on the ejector to see if it moves freely.

Lastly, in my expereince, Olympic ammo is shit.

The extractor spring seems O.K. , and I don't see anything wrong with the ejector I broke down the BCG last night and cleaned and inspected it..... I also agree with you on the Olympic comment, I usually have to "wipe" after shooting it.... but it was free just like the 900 rounds of wolf that I have to dispose of.....

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#5]
How can you say the extractor spring looks OK?  It is very hard to look at a spring and tell if it is %100 or not.  But by the sound of your malfunctions, it sounds like the ejector is the problem.  Because you are saying the case is getting fully pulled out ('extracted') of the chamber but the case is failing to clear the weapon upon cycle.

Buy a new ejector spring (cheap part) install it and see what happens.

Is the Bushie BCG used?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:51:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Oops I meant say it "feels" O.K.,  that was the first thing I checked....

I have my doubts about the Bushy B&CG being new now.... It's probably used! When I bought it I was lead to believe it was new!

- Clint
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:02:08 AM EDT
[#7]
It should be pretty easy to tell whether the bolt was new or not just from wear on the face of the bolt, lugs and the cam pin. Between the Olympic ammo and everything else there are so many potential problems that I couldn't even guess without more detailed info on the history of the rifle.

Is it a new build? If not, have you changed anything lately? If so, you are just going to have to start eliminating potential issues one by one until you find the problem. I wouldl start with the ammo, then the BCG and work from there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a new build, as far as I can tell by looking at the B&CG it's new.... I have an extra B&CG that I'll try later this week....

- Clint
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top