Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 8:00:22 PM EDT
Well, after a couple weeks of waiting, I finally got out to shoot my RRA Elite CAR A4 on a friend's property today.

I love it!

Some observations:
- The recoil felt noticeably less than the last AR I shot (M4 style Bushmaster/Colt build).
- Was more accurate than I expected.  (My friend's dad, who had never touched an AR, was blowing up clays we had set up for targets over 50 yards away with his first few shots.)
- 160 rounds through it for it's first outing.  NO malfunctions of any kind.
- Phantom 5C2 blocked out ALL muzzle blast for me when I was shooting during late dusk.
- I was similarly accurate with the large and small apertures within 70 yards.
- Gripping the front of the magwell was more comfy than holding the handguard.

Some questions:
- What items do I need to clean it with? (I read that a three-piece rod can damage the bore.  I had purchased the "Hoppes Rifle Cleaning Kit" when I purchased the gun, but now I'm going to take it back.  I want to baby this gun!)
- Can anyone recommend a good convertible sling?  How about a one-piece?

Thoughts on my observations or questions?

Thanks again to everyone for donating time and suggestions toward my first AR.  After shooting my RRA today, I am very happy with my purchase:

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking pea shooter you got there!!!  

I really like the Dewey coated one piece rods.  I think that is about the easiest on the barrel.  I know they are a bit more expensive, but I see it as a once in a lifetime expense (I guess it might wear out in 50 or 60 years, but I don't know.)

Can't help you on the sling.  Still looking for what feels right to me.

Now, go shoot the heck out of her!!

Doc
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:54:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Ain't no one else happy fo' me?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I also like the dewey coated rods. You might want to pickup the M16B Breach Guide.

http://www.deweyrods.com

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle   I am looking at getting one just like it.  Is that rear sight a flip down type ?  I'm want the flip down type so I can also mount a  EOTECH on the gun. That way I would have to iron sights as a back up.  Anybody out there have that kind of set up ?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ain't no one else happy fo' me?

I'm happy for you.

Now all you have to do is "write off" all disposable income for the next decade or so.

no more flowers for your gf/wife subsequently no more mr.happy in the bedroom
water and electricity...things you'll have to learn to live without
your conversations will revolve around- barrel length vs. terminal effects, SHTF scenarios, twist rates, BUIS options, barrel materials, bullet weights, gas port erosion, FSB heights, cheek welds, bump firing, stock options.

you are infected.  Welcome!

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
. <snip> Is that rear sight a flip down type ?  <snip>

yes.  appears to be an ARMS #40
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Chromelined bore or not?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice gun,enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Chrome-lined barrel, ARMS #40 flip-up BUIS
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
- The recoil felt noticeably less than the last AR I shot (M4 style Bushmaster/Colt build).

Probably because it weighs 2 lbs more than a Bushy/Colt A4. hinking.gif

Still, a nice rifle. I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Probably because it weighs 2 lbs more than a Bushy/Colt A4.

Maybe also because it has a midlength gas system vs. a carbine which equals longer pulse which results in less felt recoil. (I assume you meant M4 rather than A4)
BTW 2# aint much to complain about IMO
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats!!  I own one myself and feel the same jubilation you do.

As for cleaning, I use the one piece Tipton Carbon Fiber rod.  Check out Midwayusa.com for these puppies.   A rod guide is a must in my book, especially if you want to baby the gun - I'm that way myself.  hamber

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice rifle, Jaltered.

I also enjoy shooting w/out carry handle and optics on occasion.

I guess the underwhelming response is a reference to "I know, thats what we have been telling you!!"

She's a beauty and likely only your first!!

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I dig it, very nice weapon.

I use a boresnakes for everything. I have all of the high end cleaning stuff, but BS does such of a great job. now I rarely use my coated rods unless Im removing copper fouling.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, with a chrome barrel you don't really need to baby it; but if you want to the way to go is a one-piece cleaning rod of your choosing, a bore-guide for the AR15, and a good chamber brush on a rod that doesn't rotate. I'd also throw in a 5.56 or .243 boresnake for quick cleaning at the range or when you don't feel like giving the bore a real good cleaning. The chamber stars that somebody here sells are also real handy for a thorough cleaning of that area. Edited to add Wipe-Out or BreakFree Bore Cleaning Foam is great to clean a barrel fast as well; but unnecessary on a regular basis IMO.

However, you could probably go for 10,000 rounds using nothing but a boresnake and q-tips. The important area of the AR isn't the bore so much (especially on a chrome-lined barrel); but the chamber and locking lugs. If crap gets built up in those areas, it will stop your bolt from locking up and the rifle will not fire - this will usually display as the round not chambering.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my Otis Cleaning Kit alot.  Works great.  But a Dewey One Piece and Guide is a very smart way to go too.  Enjoy and welcome to the club.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably because it weighs 2 lbs more than a Bushy/Colt A4.

No.  It definitely feels lighter than the Bushy/Colt that I shot last.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Otis Cleaning Kit  is what i use..

i have an armalite midlength and love it also
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats on your new RRA AR. I am glad to hear you are enjoying it.

I just ordered one last Saturday a RRA Mid length as well. I cant wait to get mine. I think it might take a little longer with the Holidays.

Keep shooting!

Merry Christmas To all.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top