Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2003 5:55:23 AM EDT
I have built my first AR and am starting to work on my second, a 16inch carbine for my wife.The problem is she has a short reach and is not comfortable with a full length stock.
MY QUESTION - I have a pre ban tele stock, its a plastic/carbon thing 3 position.I believe the minimum stock length on a 16" is 7" (correct me if I am wrong)so I have read.With a rubber butt pad and opened one position the stock is 8 1/2"- 9".This is comfortable for her as i fitted it to my rifle for her to try only for sizing. If I premantly fix this stock so it cannot be adjusted,pvc weld ,glue, pin, is it then legal to have on a post ban?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is permanently fixed in place you should be good to go.

But no one really knows for sure.

Link Posted: 8/5/2003 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
DON'T RUIN YOUR STOCK BY BY MAKING IT NON-COLLAPSIBLE.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The BATF prefers the stock to be both pinned and welded or some other way as to make it impossible to disassemble it again without doing serious damage to it.  They usually prefer the tube to never have had the notches cut for the locking pin in the first place so that it never was and can never bee again under any circumstances a collapsible stock.

The best and surest way is to contact the local BATF office.  Whatever they tell you, get it in writing.  If you don't have it in writing it is meaningless.  Some on this board have had ATF guys tell them "don't get in trougle and yu won't have to worry about it."  However, you never know what could happen.  Would you really want to take the risk?  GEt an answer in writing, that way you ahve a better leg to stand on if something should happen to get you in trouble.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#4]
My be I should just not fit it. Bushmaster make a short a2 style stock, may be better to fit one of those and just keep my adjustable for the day we can use them again.If the assult weapon ban goes away will we be able to have adjustable stocks again?What eles will we be able to have that we cant now?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My be I should just not fit it. Bushmaster make a short a2 style stock, may be better to fit one of those and just keep my adjustable for the day we can use them again.If the assult weapon ban goes away will we be able to have adjustable stocks again?What eles will we be able to have that we cant now?
View Quote

For your wife, I would recommend the C1(A1) stock from Cavalry Arms, and you/she can choose her favorite color.[;)]
[url]cavalryarms.com/furniture.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen others do this for the same reason. I have one I bought in the fully collapsed position from a well known vendor on this board, in fact.

Most of the non-collapsable look alikes are drilled and have a blind pin (or two) inserted into one side, and some sort of permanent epoxy joining the two parts together. Many many many were made like this--with BATF approval--before they started making them on full length tubes. There should be no problem if you do the same.

Don't worry about the length--any collapsable stock in any position is enough to qualify the gun as more than the required 26" mininum overall.

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
For compactness, there are several options for a stock that are definitely legal without any grey or debatable areas:

[url=http://www.defensive-edge.net/tacticalstore.html]Sully Stock[/url]The Sully Stock is the smae length as a collapsible stock open to the first notch, which is halfway open on a four or three position stock.  This stock length, IMHO, is the perfect length for any situation.  It is versatile enough to be used with light clothing or heavy clothing.  The shorter the useable length of pull, the faster the weapon is to get on target and the easier it is to stabilize the weapon.  The sully stock is at the lenght that is, in my expereience, the best useable lenght of the stock no matter what gear or clothing I have on.

[url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=173414&w=searchPop]ROCK RIVER ARMS L.E. ENTRY TACTICAL BUTTSTOCK KIT WITH KNIGHT'S ONE INCH STOCK EXTENSION SLING MOUNT [/url]  This is abpout the same size as the sully stock.  The stock can be used by itself, and is about the same length as a collapsible stock in the fully closed position.  The stock can also be purchased without the spacer at [url=http://ar15sales.com/rraparts.htm#parts]Legal Transfers[/url] or [url=http://www.adcofirearms.com/rockriver/rockriver.cfm?page=rra]Adco[/url]

[url=http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=167618&w=searchPop]ARFX-E stocks[/url]  This is about the same length as the RRA stock, and it has the option of a half inch or one inch spacer/buttpad for added length.

I am sure there are other options as well, but these are the most popular.  Hope these help until the ban sunsets.

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:01:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for your input guys.....I will look at the options as I am putting another lower together this weekend and finishing off my second AR kit.
I suppose I could change my wife for one that has longer arms!!!! Only kidding.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I am having the same problem. I don't like the long A2 stock, and the shorty A2 stock is just a little short. I have the short stock. I'm going to add a 1" stock extension from Knight's Armament. That ARFX-E stock looks pretty khule though. I might just scrap the shorty/spacer idea! Thanx Knightone!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top