Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 2:38:33 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has taken the time to shoreten a sten mag to about 20 rounds.  I do not mean the ones with blocks in them.  But actually shortening the mag body and spring also.  If so does anyone have measurements.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shortened quite a few.  I have'nt bothered with capacity or measurements. I've also shortened the legs on the followers to add a few more rounds.

The best way I've found is with a power band or chop saws to cut to length. After their all cut to length I use a hand held air cut off tool to cut the steps on the front and back of the mag body. Then use an air die grinder to remove burrs after cutting and trimming.

Next I use a pair of horizontal wire cutters to bend the new floorplate flanges close to a 90 degree angle and then tap them to 90 degree with a real light hammer.

Last thing is to fit the floorplates to the new flanges. I use a bench beltsander and 150 grit to dress the width of the flanges to the floorplates.

Spring quality varies with Sten magazines depending on their quality and age ect. ect. I start by cutting them about 3" longer than the shortened magazine body and go from there.

You can use hand tools for everything if you don't have access to power toools. A hack saw, rat tail file for de burring, a flat file for squaring your cuts and dressing the floorplate flanges. You'll need some quality side cutters for clipping the magazine springs. Wear your safety glasses.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've shortened quite a few.  I have'nt bothered with capacity or measurements. I've also shortened the legs on the followers to add a few more rounds.

What is your procedure for shortening the followers?  Was thinking of doing this myself with GG followers.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is your procedure for shortening the followers?  Was thinking of doing this myself with GG followers.

Thanks!

Hey Corvus!  I've shortened a few myself.  Cut the legs of the followers to desired length and cut the spring to match.  I used a dremmel with a cutting wheel and then de-horned the edges.  If you dont de-horn or flare the bottom edges of the follower after you cut, the spring could bind as it's compressed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Shorten the follower legs as BoomStick describes. I like the real short mags myself 15-18 rounds and shorter than GI 5.56 20's
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Oly has shortened them to 10 rounders and they work fine...

mark
[email protected]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top