Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2004 6:32:04 AM EDT
If proper done, does shortening the length of a chrome lined barrel affect accuracy?  In other words, will a 16" chrome lined barrel that has been shortened to 14.5" have the same inherent accuracy as a 14.5"  chrome lined barrel that hasn't been shortened?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I had a 20 that was cut to 19"...had to have the perm. attached muzzle brake off.  Hasn't effected accuracy at all, as far as I can tell.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#2]
If done properly, it shouldn't have any adverse effects on accuracy.  See a reputable smith to do so (ADCO comes to mind).  Just curious, why do you want to shorten a 16"?  The resulting loss in velocity accompanied by the mandate to have to permanantly weld on a FH greatly overweighs the loss in weight from the muzzle end.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If done properly, it shouldn't have any adverse effects on accuracy.  See a reputable smith to do so (ADCO comes to mind).  Just curious, why do you want to shorten a 16"?  The resulting loss in velocity accompanied by the mandate to have to permanantly weld on a FH greatly overweighs the loss in weight from the muzzle end.  

The barrel in question is a 16" RRA  with the FFH.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the same barrel,I want to install Vortex,That means that i need to cut my barrel to,that sucks,Why RRA soldered the FFH to a 16" barrel.That I have any other alternative to removed that not cutting the barrel. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have the same barrel,I want to install Vortex,That means that i need to cut my barrel to,that sucks,Why RRA soldered the FFH to a 16" barrel.That I have any other alternative to removed that not cutting the barrel. Thanks.hr

The FFH is pressed onto the 16" barrel and CAN be removed without cutting the barrel BUT, I don't care for the way it looks afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Denny's Guns (GTS) shortened my chrome lined barrel. I am very pleased with their work and would recommend them to anyone.

Accountant
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top