Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2003 7:06:25 AM EDT
I am lusting after a RRA M4-style upper. ADCO sells them with an option to cut off 1.25" of barrel, recrowning, and adding the 1.25" long Wilson brake to get back to 16". This is in comparison of slapping the 1.25" long brake in on top of the 16" barrel. I really like the looks of the shortened barrel, but I'm wondering how the shorter barrel will affect reliability. It seems like the amount of pressure going back through the gas tube will be different, albeit slightly. Is it too minor to affect functioning ? Anyone with one of these who could shed some light on this ?

Here's a picture:
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It seems like the amount of pressure going back through the gas tube will be different, albeit slightly. Is it too minor to affect functioning ?
View Quote

A little bit backwards. The carbine gas system is designed around the 14.5" barrels, but they work fine with the 16". Shortening a 16" will not be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems like the amount of pressure going back through the gas tube will be different, albeit slightly. Is it too minor to affect functioning ?
View Quote

A little bit backwards. The carbine gas system is designed around the 14.5" barrels, but they work fine with the 16". Shortening a 16" will not be an issue.
View Quote

Actually the 14.5" was designed around the existing carbine gas system, but whatever. 14.5" barrels work well for the military and a lot of civilians so clearly reducing a a 16" barrel back to 15" shouldn't cause any problems.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top