Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 10/30/2004 7:22:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2004 5:38:16 AM EDT by AFSOC]
I just got to the machine shop today and chopped down the Socom block for my 9mm
Not too tough, I will post a pic tomorrow I definitely like the look better not so much hanging off the bottom.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:39:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2004 5:51:13 AM EDT by AFSOC]
Definitely a nicer look!
Went to the machine shop but my buddy was liquidating his equipment so the metal cutting bandsaw was unavailable! so I ended up using just a hacksaw and then milling the slot and the top
I did not chamfer the mag catch side but no big deal to depress the catch and put it in.
But he was selling an old Southbend 9" Bench lathe so I bought it!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:16:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2004 9:23:03 AM EDT by Irishfly]
Did the same thing to mine but alot more lowtech. Used a mitre box with hacksaw and then a file to cut the slot. Works like a champ. You may also try chamfering the front edge of the block as it kinda acts like a beveled magwell on a 1911and allows easier mag insertion. Also, the best thing that I did besides shortening it was to chamfer the edges of the mag catch (the one on the block not the standard one on the reciever. I shaved down each side of it to make it a little more pointed so it would index and find the slot on the sten mag alot more easily. Hard to describe but kinda looks like this........but on both sides.

______
|||||||||\
||||||||||\
|||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||||

Kinda messed up explanation but my digital camera isn't working. It helped alot with seating the mags quickly and I didn't have to take much off. Not even as much as this reprehensible representation shows Edited about 37 times to get the picture right.

Hope this helps,

Debo

I am Debo and I approve this message.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:56:20 AM EDT
So far it indexes just fine in the mags I have...
But I will keep it in mind.
Top Top