Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2006 9:34:47 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster carbine. 14.5 inch barrel. It was bought new. Now has about 2500 or 3000 rounds through it. Had previously been very reliable. Had a hiccup here and there with Wolf. Was at a indoor range yesterday and had 4 or 5 jams of this type.
One was a stuck round in the chamber with a fresh round attempting to load behind it. It was easily cleared by taking the mag out.Letting the bolt close and slamming the buttstock on the floor.

The other jams were like this. Bolt 1/2 way forward with empty on bolt face. Fresh round stripped of mag and pressed up against bottom of empty. Some cases were seriously gouged and on one the bullet was bent a little.

The only thing I did different was as I was in a hurry loading I didn't smack the mags to seat all the bullets. Could it be this simple. It was a very clean rifle, the ammo was PMC 55 grain FMJ. There was some ultra max remanufactured in the mix but it failed the same with both kinds. Any suggestions or ideas.

All other previous failures were of the FTE variety with a stuck case usually wolf.This is the first time I've ever had FTF. Mags are old but previously had been 100%
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#2]
My friend who was a marine advised to look into the gas system. He said the gas tube needed cleaning. I said I doubted that was it but he said he'd cleaned more m-16's than I had seen which is probably true. He then offered to clean the rifle for me!!I'm going to let him.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a short stroking problem, the gas key was loose. Torqued it down, no more problems.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Scrub the chamber with a chamber brush to ensure the chamber & lug area is free of heavy fouling.  

If you decide to torque the gas key screws, be sure to stake them.  It's preferable to use new screws if they are loose.  

Do not (I repeat...do not) try stuffing things in the gas tube to clean it out.  Gas tubes are cheap and easy to change.  In the event that you suspect it is blocked (which is not that likely) just swap it out.  

Also run you next test with a known good USGI mag.

Does it lock open with one round loaded in the mag?

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He said the gas tube needed cleaning.

I've never personally seen an AR-15/M16 gas tube that needed cleaning, and I bought my first black rifle 18 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Check the bolt carrier key for a spent primer. I shoot wolf and had a primer stuck in key and caused a short stroke issue.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm pretty sure the gas tube is fine. I will check the key when he gives it back which should be Monday. I told him it wasn't a gas tube issue but didn't want to bust his balls about it. He's pretty great with guns actually but if he gets an idea in his head nobody gets it out but him. The good thing is he is loaded so anything he messes up he can afford to have fixed for me.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top