Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2011 7:23:38 PM EDT
Shot my build last week and the ejection pattern showed I was short stroking. About 5:00. When I cleaned my rifle I noticed carbon build up around the gas tube roll pin. Is this a normal place for the gas to leak? If it is not normal, how do I fix it? Other than that the rifle ran great and I love the accuracy of the Nordic-Lilja barrel. 14 out of 15 shots, at 25m, went into 1 ragged hole, the 15th was a pulled flyer. I will post a pic later this weekend when I get it off the phone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Shot my build last week and the ejection pattern showed I was short stroking. About 5:00. When I cleaned my rifle I noticed carbon build up around the gas tube roll pin. Is this a normal place for the gas to leak? If it is not normal, how do I fix it? Other than that the rifle ran great and I love the accuracy of the Nordic-Lilja barrel. 14 out of 15 shots, at 25m, went into 1 ragged hole, the 15th was a pulled flyer. I will post a pic later this weekend when I get it off the phone.

How do you know your AR was short stroking?

You are talking about that jpeg floating around that "shows" ejection patterns, right?

You need to explain your build and understand that jpeg is for a carbine shooting M-855/M-193.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes i am talking about the jpeg. What are signs of a short stroke?  I guess I don't know that it was truly short stroking. The rifle ran flawless with factory reloaded ammo. My build is on a Black Rain billet set with a DD BCG, Nordic-Lilja barrel, Larue low profile gas block, DD Lite rail, and an Ace Socom stock with a carbine buffer and spring.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The rifle ran flawless with factory reloaded ammo.

Then your rifle was not short stroking.

Frequently Asked Questions 5

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Ejection pattern is not even remotely a good indicator of rifle function.  Actual malfunctions ARE a good indicator of rifle function.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool. I guess I was just paranoid. No malfunctions in a little over 100 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. Just read the troubleshooting page.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks guys. Just read the troubleshooting page.

You're welcome. Nice looking stick.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Consistency is what we are all (mostly) looking for from our builds. Once you've been firing that rifle a while, you'll become accustomed
to how it operates (eject at 5:00) so when it changes, you'll know something is up or that you've changed something in the formula
that affects the weapons operation.

Nice barrel, what are the specs on it?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. I sure am happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Barrel specs:
416 ss ( I think)
16" midlength
Wylde chamber
.650 in front of gas block
.750 from gas block to muzzle
Just under 2 lbs bare
Link for barrel

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/Lilja-Nordic-AR-Rifle-Barrel-Stainless-16-BBL-223-16M-LN.htm
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Act on what you know...not what you think. Glad you got it figgered out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
As promised. 15 rounds at 25 m after sighting in irons and scope. Flyer was a pull on my part.  Now I just need to stretch her legs, when I get a chance.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top