Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/26/2009 3:34:56 PM EDT
Howdy there fellas!  Just wanted to take a quick second to introduce myself to the guys and gals reading and posting here.  I've lurked for years, but only recently bought my first personal AR and qualified myself to join and ask bothersome questions.  I'm new to neither online gun forums OR the AR style rifle.  Some of you may recognize the name from OpenCarry.org and I was also one of the founding members of the Alabama Firearm Rights Association.  Unfortunately, my activity in both of those groups has been severely reduced (almost eliminated really) by my career.  I'm a SGT in the Alabama ARNG, and currently am attending school as an ROTC cadet to earn my commission and simplify the ridiculous process of going Active Duty from ARNG.  Please hold all jokes to a minimum.....

I've been in the military for a couple of years and am quite familiar with the AR weapon system; however, my job didn't require me to familiarize myself with all the high-speed tacticool toys you can hang on them, so I'm fairly new to these products.

My first question in an inevitable long line of questions is an opinion request.  Surefire Tactical Rail Handguards.  For a field/EOTW gun that I can see being fired a lot, and whose primary purpose (other than blasting paper with the pictures of various individuals particularly of middle-eastern descent) will be fending off coyotes or carving a path through the zombies to my underground bunker, will these be of sufficient quality?

Under no circumstances would I consider putting something like a set of KA or anything in that price range.  This gun's gonna see too much action for that, so the Surefire is both in my price range and available at Shooter's in Columbus GA.  Are there any major flaws in the system I should know about before buying?

ALSO: If there is a search box where I could have easily typed in the phrase SureFire Rails and had this question answered w/o a new topic, please direct me to it... I looked and couldn't find one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the forums. As far as rails, most people have their preferences, alot of people go for DD omega rails, or larues. I haven't heard much about the surefire rail systems. I myself have a YHM quad rail on my ar.

Were you looking for free float, or just a drop in 2 piece system?

At the bottom right of all the forums and topic pages there is a search bar.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick response.  I've looked at DD and YHM and I do like both, but are unavailable at the shop.  I'm having the guy hold the Surefire set for me until I can get up there tomorrow or Wednesday and pick them up because it is my understanding that any and all ARs and parts for ARs are flying off the shelves like hotcakes... what with the change of "circumstances" and all.

I definitely want the drop ins... I'm looking to keep this build (my first) relatively economical and cost efficient.  For what I am gonig to do with this rifle, I can't see going through the trouble to put a FF on it. Pretty much once I put the rails and a foregrip on it, I'm gonna through a spec ops CQB 101 sling and a light on it and call it a project well done.  

An M68 may be in its distant future, but that depends on how quick the coyotes prove to be this spring....
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top