Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 4:00:37 AM EDT
This may be an old discussion, so dont' flame me too hard for this.  Why do AR's all run off of a standard gas-operating system?  Is it impossible to make a gas tube that has a metal rod in it that would cock the bolt, similar to how a G36 or HK416 works - a short stroke gas system, as I understand it to be called.  I know that in the HK's and other rifles that use that type of system, chamber fouling is greatly reduced and they test fire these things for insane amounts of rounds (10k+) without cleaning and get no jams.  I would imagine that you'd just be able to make a gas tube and maybe a slightly modified bolt carrier that would work this way and increase the reliability/decrease fouling by a lot.  So why hasn't it been done?

I have seen some specialty AR's that run off of that type of system, but they all seem to be few, far between, and expensive.  What I'm asking is why can't just any standard upper have a gas tube put in it made to run off of a more HK-like gas system?

Lol, like I said, don't flame me too hard for that one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I think what you are describing is a piston option.

piston are being used on "normal" AR15's and and now come as a add-on in some cases.

POF USA has a piston setup as does Colt now and many others.........I will change mine over when they pefect it, and
lower the prices as well. Piston setups are expensive right now.............too new.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I guess a piston system is what I was thinking of.  (I had seen it called a "short stroke" before, because the gas goes less distance to do the same job).  So even though it's something in a newer phase, is it already showing a lot of potential for added reliability?  Like I said, I know that other rifles that use a piston system tend to be very reliable.  In the military's search for a better assault rifle, I have always been of the opinion that the AR15/M16 platform with a piston system would be a great upgrade - and it wouldn't require buying of entirely new weapon systems.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#3]
potential problem looking for a solution..............kinda what I think. The AR platform has been
around for 40+ years, nothing wrong with it now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I do have to agree with your point that it's been around for over 40 years.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  But at the same time, I feel that overall, it is an adequate weapon system, but it's tendency to more easily malfunction as compared to a lot of other military weapons is also something that should be addressed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top