Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2005 10:06:33 PM EDT
Im wanting to build a SBR AR15 with a 7 inch upper. and shorty ACE for buttstock.

Ive got the ATF form to fill out and send off but is there any kind of specific procedure in doing this?

From my understanding you send off paperwork with 200 tax and wait...

Anyone else here build or own a short barreled AR15?

I got into a "debate" with a co-worker who also works as a police dispatcher and she said that "if you have no practical use for it, you shouldn't be able to own it".  It was pretty hard to respond to that, I just told her that since its legal if all the paperwork is in order, then why not?

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah!  Many thanks!  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell her its like saying if she has no practical use for jewelry or extra shoes she should not be able to own them.  People that open express facist ideas like that scare me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:18:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Dr J,

My advice - and what I have done myself - is to link up with a Class III FFL who will walk you through the process

Mine was willing to coach me through the process and had the forms in a format that allowed us to fill out formally (not hand-written) and submit them

He may be the exception, but is 100% and I will go out of my way to do biz with him again

His fee for the transfer and assistance is $100. A bargain in my eyes
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:47:21 AM EDT
[#5]
"Personal Collection"

It's all the reason you need to give.  I would have like to put the standard ARFCOM answer, "Because I Can", but I didn't feel like waiting even longer than I already had to wait.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:12:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I was telling a friend of mine about her response and thats what Im going to start telling people who make those sort of comments about owning/possessing an SBR.

My dad got the same thing with his Hess .50BMG and since he sold that and bought a FN Five-Seven, you can expect the same heads turning again....
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got into a "debate" with a co-worker who also works as a police dispatcher and she said that "if you have no practical use for it, you shouldn't be able to own it".  It was pretty hard to respond to that, I just told her that since its legal if all the paperwork is in order, then why not?

Loudly proclaim her to be a Communist so that everyone hears.

"To each according to their need" is a line straight out of the Communist Manifesto...
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Loudly proclaim her to be a Communist so that everyone hears.

"To each according to their need" is a line straight out of the Communist Manifesto...

Somewhere on this site, I saw a very good quote. "Communists read marx/lennin. Anti-communists understand marx/lennin"  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#9]

I got into a "debate" with a co-worker who also works as a police dispatcher and she said that "if you have no practical use for it, you shouldn't be able to own it". It was pretty hard to respond to that, I just told her that since its legal if all the paperwork is in order, then why not?

Response:

"What is so great about this country is that a citizen has the right to be stupid.  I applaud you for exercising your right to its fullest extent."

Another good answer:  "The suppressor doesn't stick way out there if you use a SBR."

I would wait until after your CLEO signs the form 1, though.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Some years ago, I was waiting in the Chief of Police's outer office, to see him about signing a form 4 transfer. A highschool classmate, on the department spotted me and came over asking me if I was applying for a job? (There had been several trying to get me to come to work there)

I told him "No, I need the Chief to sign the paperwork so I can buy a silencer."

He asked, "What do you need a silencer for?"

"My machinegun."

He shook his head and walked off, amused.

Lonny
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#12]

I told him "No, I need the Chief to sign the paperwork so I can buy a silencer."
He asked, "What do you need a silencer for?"
"My machinegun."
He shook his head and walked off

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Ask her if you can come over to her house and admite her butter churn, and horse and buggy - in the glow of her kerosene lamps and candles.  After all, nobody really NEEDS electricity and grocery stores and cars - they are just conveniences, nothing more.

The sheer idiocy of the "you don't need it" argument really pushes my loony button.  People like the unabomber, who live "off the grid" are the only people who have the right to make that argument, (and I don't listen to them because they are insane)
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Its just f'ed up mentality really.

Thats why we have to constantly fight to keep our rights because of stupid people.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:22:20 AM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Do you really need to own a car that drives over 60 miles a hour? Answer - No , but it sure is fun to own one that can do more!

If you can get a SBR , buy one for me! The local CLEO won't sign off on any sort of equipment that requires a tax stamp.  Some day i'd like to get a 14.5" w/ silencer , that'd be great ,but i gotta go out of county and argue with a judge from a ajacent county on why i 'need one'

America is a country of freedom , for the most part , might as well exercise your freedom to own a rifle that looks evil and scary.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#17]
A girl I used to work with always used to walk around with a big smile on her face, so one time I asked her "I thought you hated it here?" and she said "I do", so I asked "So why are you always smiling?" and she responded with "Because smiling is the easiest way to suppress a gag reflex"

I think I should start using that one when people say stupid shit
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Do you really need to own a car that drives over 60 miles a hour? Answer - No , but it sure is fun to own one that can do more!

If you can get a SBR , buy one for me! The local CLEO won't sign off on any sort of equipment that requires a tax stamp.  Some day i'd like to get a 14.5" w/ silencer , that'd be great ,but i gotta go out of county and argue with a judge from a ajacent county on why i 'need one'

America is a country of freedom , for the most part , might as well exercise your freedom to own a rifle that looks evil and scary.

No you don't. File for article of incorporation. Pay $35 to incorporate. Make the corporation an investment corp in nature, with its own expense account and write the new corporate investments off on uncle sugar's tax code, legally. No LEO signature required.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Incorporating usually costs more than $35 and some states require annual fees.  What applies in one state does not in another.  We dont need bank accounts for corps in Texas and its a $200 one time start up fee.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Tell her its like saying if she has no practical use for jewelry or extra shoes she should not be able to own them.

This would probably be the very best response.  There is NO difference legally between a brooch or ring and a firearm.  And she's bound to have more jewelry than she can wear (it goes without saying she has more shoes than she can wear-most of us do!).  The practicality of anything is purely in the eyes of the owner, and the lady should figure this out in the context of her next jewelry or shoe purchase.

Oh, throw in purses, too.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#21]
How about this.  If you're really ugly you don't need your genitals since you have no practical use for them.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#23]
"Life, liberty, AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS."
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top