Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 7:07:59 AM EDT
Last year I built an M4gery. When I first started shooting it I tried Win. Q3131. They never extracted. I then tried PMP and the same thing happened. I then tried Fed XM193 and bang no problems. I went on to find a total of 8 other rounds that shoot and extract fine. That is until you get to approx. 100 rnds! Then I start having Failure to extract completly and jams. This is with all types of ammo. I have tried different mags and still have the problem. I'm shooting to the 100rnd mark fairly quickly (1/2 hr to 45 minutes) and the rifle does get hot. I have never let it cool down completely to see if it would start working properly again. This is supposed to be my SHTF gun but if I can only shoot 100 rnds reliably through it... I don't think so! One thing I have found is I can now shoot Q3131 through it so this makes me think that it is breaking in. I now have 800-1000 rounds through it. Could this be a "break in" problem? Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:12:12 AM EDT
Only shoot 99 rounds per day!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:18:03 AM EDT

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:19:17 AM EDT
Have you shot Wolf ammo in the past? If so, could be your chamber has lacquer build up that causes the rounds to stick as the chamber heats up. If you don’t already own a chamber brush I would suggest buying one and giving your chamber a good cleaning out!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:29:24 AM EDT
I shoot Wolf sometimes, but it is the new stuff and I always clean my rifle real well after shooting so I don't think that I have any build up of anything at this time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:13:41 AM EDT
Sounds like a pressure problem. Rifle heats up causing the gas pressure to rise. The increase in gas pressures causes the locking lugs to release prematurely and the bolt to move backward while the casing is still expanded in the chamber thus causing a jam or a failure to extract. I dont know youre exact configuration but if you can put an adjuatable gas block on it I think that will solve youre problem. If that fixes it lemme know. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:34:45 PM EDT
I had similiar problems with one of my ar's. I never really did figure it out nor did I have a solid round count "wall" it seemed to hit but it would start FTE and jamming after "a few mags." I put in a defender o-ring and haven't had a problem since. I don't know if I had the same problem as you, but give one of the o-rings for enhanced extraction a whirl.......
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:43:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 1:57:53 PM EDT by Dano523]
One of two problems, but there easy to solve/figure out (read once the rifle is hot, it fails to lock the bolt back on the last round),

Starting with a clean and correctly CLP lube rifle (ask if you don't know which parts should be lubed)

Shoot the rifle to the point that you start having problems (let it heat up), Now instead of letting the rifle cool, slightly open the bolt and spray in a good shot of CLP into the gas chamber threw the exhaust ports of the carrier. Charge the rifle a few time to migrate the CLP into the action, and then reload the rifle and see if it runs. If the extra CLP into the action makes the rifle run, then yes it's just a problem with a tight rifle that needs to be broken in (read rifle just fouling out and it's enough to put it over the top).

Now lets flip the coin, lets say that after you have sprayed in the extra CLP, the rifle only runs for 10 rounds or so (or even less). This one is even easier to solve, you have a carrier key (allen screws) that is loose/leaking and since metal stretches as it get hot, the hotter the carrier (screws), the more the key is going to leak.

To solve this problem, you are going to need two new carrier key allen screws (don't even bother using the old units). Pull the key and hand lap the key into the carrier (valve lapping compound). When you go to reinstall the key, lay down a thin coat of red Loctite on the bottom of the key then tighten the screws up to 35 and stake the key. The loctite is being uses as a gasket material, and not to secure the screws.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:51:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:

Yep, that will solve the problem,

Last time I checked, the trouble-shooting forum was not the place to practice being an assclown. Might want to save these types of comments for the GD forum, of if you have the balls, shove your head into a hornet nests and try it over in the women’s forum.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:08:02 PM EDT
I think some of the problem might be the gas key. When I took it apart last night to clean it the gas key was loose. I've never had that so it kinda freaked me out. Well I tightened down both but will see if I can try the red lock tight fix. Thanks. It will take me a week or so to make the fix and get back out to the range to see what happens but I will let you know. I hope it works. If part of the problem is a tight chamber how many (approx) rounds do you think before it has loosesen up? Could get expensive shooting XM193
Top Top