Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2005 12:02:55 AM EDT
I have to wear glasses, and luckily my local rifle range doesn't require eye-protection, but I may need it in the future.

Aside from getting Wiley-X goggles with prescription lenses ($200) are there any homebrew solutions to make glasses better for shooting? My problem is when I have a good cheek weld, my glasses sometimes are too low, and I get double picture from my eye looking over, as well as into the glasses.

Confuses the hell out of me with iron sights, haha
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have to wear glasses, and luckily my local rifle range doesn't require eye-protection, but I may need it in the future.

Aside from getting Wiley-X goggles with prescription lenses ($200) are there any homebrew solutions to make glasses better for shooting? My problem is when I have a good cheek weld, my glasses sometimes are too low, and I get double picture from my eye looking over, as well as into the glasses.

Confuses the hell out of me with iron sights, haha

Gargoyles makes an adapter for their full sized safety glasses that works very well.  I took them to my Optometrist and he made me a special prescription for shooting iron sights.

ETA:  Unless your insurance covers it like mine does you're probably still looking at around $200 though, if not more.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
OK, time to save up for Wiley X SG-1 goggles then.

That and a ammo stockpile, reduced recoil buffer, SOPMOD stock, chrome silica buffer spring and D-fender.

Damn this hobby is EXPENSIVE!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Oakly does Rx glasses and is better than the Wiley.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
i too have the same problem the only thing that helps me is rolling my head back as much as possible (position dependent). in the prone, there isn't much you can do (if you even shoot in the prone -- we have to).

HTH

-E5T
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Oakley has some cool products out there but I like WileyX.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got 2 pair of SG-1s, and while I like them, they fog a little too easy for my liking.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]
You got through Black Mesa and City 17, and you're just now looking for more eye protection??
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Try contacts.

Second always wear eye and ear protection when shooting.  If that 50,000 PSI round goes bad you wont loose any eye.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
heh.

I have glasses with really narrow lenses (in the vertical dimension).  They SUCK ASS for shooting rifles.  I ended up digging out my old Army birth-control glasses, which work pretty well.  If you have trouble with fog, buff some shaving cream onto the lenses with a dry cloth until they're clear -- that will prevent most fogging unless the lenses get wet/washed off.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#11]
One word: LASIK

Then a world of eye protection options open up without worrying about the prescription issue.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
One word: LASIK

Then a world of eye protection options open up without worrying about the prescription issue.

Roger that.

I have worn contacts for shooting for years (with eye protection), but lately, I've developed an intollerance for contacts. Started wearing my glasses for shooting, but it was a PITA, for the same reasons mentioned above.

Going in for LASIK on Oct 13. CAn't wait to try shooting after that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Contacts or Corneal Molding. The Corneal Molding are hard contacts you wear only at night. During the day your vision is perfect. Mine is 20/15 for two days in a row before I have to sleep with them again. Cost: $1000 from your optometrist.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top