Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 12:23:44 PM EDT
My Bushy patrolmans carbine has always gone bang when I pulled the trigger. In my neck of the woods the temps have fallen into the freeze your arse off level of the thermometer. I wanted to see how my bushy and CLP would hold up in these temps. Last night was -5 f, so I decided to put the gun in the Jeep last night locked in my garage, the garage temp was 10 f. Today I got it out and walked back to my range. The temp today including windchill is -16, needless to say I looked like professor Klump walking back with 50 pounds of cloth on. The first mag feed flawlessly, then I changed mags and the second mag would not feed the first round when I hit the bolt release, but, a quick tap on the forward assist and I was back in business. Groups of 5 where just under 2 inches at 100yrds with the Eotech.  I am convinced a properly maintained AR will fire in any temp and condition.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
bring it in and let water condense on it and bring it back outside
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Um...............no.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Um...............no.

Do it, I double dog dare you
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I've tried similar exercises here in Northern Wisconsin----where it also gets "cold as a witch's t*t"----and, for that matter, last night it was -22 F. here.

My advice:  Avoid CLP in sub-zero temps-----use something along the lines of Rem Dry Lube, instead.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]

My advice: Avoid CLP in sub-zero temps-----use something along the lines of Rem Dry Lube, instead

Why is that? Something to do with the CLP jelling up?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My Bushy patrolmans carbine has always gone bang when I pulled the trigger. In my neck of the woods the temps have fallen into the freeze your arse off level of the thermometer. I wanted to see how my bushy and CLP would hold up in these temps. Last night was -5 f, so I decided to put the gun in the Jeep last night locked in my garage, the garage temp was 10 f. Today I got it out and walked back to my range. The temp today including windchill is -16, needless to say I looked like professor Klump walking back with 50 pounds of cloth on. The first mag feed flawlessly, then I changed mags and the second mag would not feed the first round when I hit the bolt release, but, a quick tap on the forward assist and I was back in business. Groups of 5 where just under 2 inches at 100yrds with the Eotech.  I am convinced a properly maintained AR will fire in any temp and condition.

What do you expect it’s a Bushmaster, I’m surprised mine hasn’t started preschool yet
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have absolutely no experience with ARs, but I have very much experience with the G3 in arctic conditions.

To keep the gun shooting at very low temperatures, we mix CLP with alcohol, depending on temperature up to about 50/50 mix.

My G3 was working perfectly well in -45 Celsius (-49F)
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm suprised so many people think the cold will affect the ol' black rifle. I've never had a cold weather related issue yet. Just got to watch the cold, warm, cold scenerio. That's where it gets a little touchy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Shot a steel match today in <10°F  temps... 9mm AR SBR ran without a hitch.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've tried similar exercises here in Northern Wisconsin----where it also gets "cold as a witch's t*t"----and, for that matter, last night it was -22 F. here.

My advice:  Avoid CLP in sub-zero temps-----use something along the lines of Rem Dry Lube, instead.

+1

I deer hunt in Northern WI with a HK91 .308, my Dad uses a DSA FAL, another guy uses a Armalite AR10, uncle uses a HK 940 30'06. And I bring along a AR15.

All of our guns stay locked in the truck over night for the whole nine day hunting season. And never have we had a jam.

I don't see what the big deal is about shooting rifles and cold weather. There has been about 7 or 8 threads right now about Cold Weather and AR15s/Gun is general.

It is cold outside will me Bushy work?

It is humid will my Colt work?

It is too hot outside will my Armalite work?

It is raining will my DPMS work?

These guns are made to handle a varity of weather climates around the world.  

It is a prefect sunny day will my Hesse work?...............Nope

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top