Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 4:41:51 AM EDT
What is your guy's thoughts on shooting mix-stamped ammo?

I can, or have been able to at the last gun show, pick up a 1000 rounds of mix-stamped ammo for $160. It just comes tossed in an ammo cans, 500 rounds per can.

Is it OK to shoot this type of stuff or would I be better off spending more money and getting boxed/sealed stuff?

I'm not really looking for accuracy but rather trigger time but I don't want to shoot something that could hurt my gun. [A DPMS AP4 chambered in 5.56.]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#1]
What are some of the stamps?  Are you talking about the Bulk Packed LC ammo?

Mixed stamps is NO PROBLEM as long as it's a mix of good stuff!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What are some of the stamps?  Are you talking about the Bulk Packed LC ammo?

Mixed stamps is NO PROBLEM as long as it's a mix of good stuff!

Man I knew someone was going to ask that.

I'll have to post some of the #'s and a few pics tomorrow. The cans are at home and I'm at work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Mixed headstamps?  Reloaded ammo, maybe?  If so, buyer beware.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]
your POI  could be all over the map
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#5]
If I was going to shoot mixed stamp ammo - I dont think I would pay $160 for that.

You can get mixed stamp from southern ammo for $105/K.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#6]
This sounds a whole lot like what I've got.

www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=261710
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:42:47 AM EDT
[#7]
OK I went through some of that ammo last night and took some pics.

I couldn't pass up this first one.

Here's the ammo in the cans.

The stamps on most of the ammo is TZZ from the 90's, with a few marked TZ from 81,82,83. The second most common in WCC 70's-90's. There was a hand full, less than 10 each, of LC and TW stamped.

I sorted through what I could in an hour.

The larger, 300 rounds, is the TZZ and the smaller, 54 rounds, is the WCC.

And these are ones with dings I found while sorting out the 354 rounds. [The top row is tarnished pieces. Is that still OK to shoot?]

I did count the rest of the pile and came out with a total of 1010 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like all good ammo to me.  I wouldn't hesitate to run any of that thru my guns, Cleatus!

Tarnished stuff shouldn't be a problem.  Minor dings are no problem.  Major dents I might pass on.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sounds like all good ammo to me.  I wouldn't hesitate to run any of that thru my guns, Cleatus!

Tarnished stuff shouldn't be a problem.  Minor dings are no problem.  Major dents I might pass on.  

Cool. I'll be buying another 1000 this weekend.  With all the prices jumping up I hope it's still $160/1000.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cool. I'll be buying another 1000 this weekend.  With all the prices jumping up I hope it's still $160/1000.

Dude!  You realize it looks like someone is just reselling the import southernammo at a higher price?

www.southernammo.com/products/products.htm

Why pay $160, when you could pay around $125 shipped?  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude!  You realize it looks like someone is just reselling the import southernammo at a higher price?

www.southernammo.com/products/products.htm

Why pay $160, when you could pay around $125 shipped?  

Yeah, I saw that site. And I see your point. I'm gonna see if I can get him down on his price.

I hate buying over the net. Call me old fasion but I like to see the stuff in front of me before I buy.

And it look like SA is on back order right now too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And it look like SA is on back order right now too.

They are always on backorder.  It is probably already all sold before it shows up, because of the price.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got my order from SA today. Took about three weeks,but it's non-critical blasting ammo, so I wasn't too impatient. appeared to be about 60% tzz,35% wcc(even from '76&'77),rest tz and lc.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I like that stuff from Southern Ammo, I have no POI issues with it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
At the risk of sounding like WTFAYT, is this stuff good for long term storage? Is it mil spec M193?  Seems like it would be ok for plinking but how do you know what you have?  Is it a crap shoot but good for blasting???
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I like that stuff from Southern Ammo, I have no POI issues with it.

I shot about 100 rounds of it yesterday with no problems.

I don't know about the POI as I'm still working on getting all the "user error" out of the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Plinking ammo maybe.  I bought some, sorted through it, and ended up selling it to a buddy cause seme of it was scary looking to me.  He's shot it and it's worked find for him in both his AR's.  He's had a couple of blown primers from the TZZ stuff and a few weeks ago he had several FTF that were all WCC headstamp.  All the WCC stuff had good primer strikes but just didn't go off.  No problems with the TZZ stuff other than a blown primer here and there.  Definately not SHTF ammo and IMO not good for anything other than plinking.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top