Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 10:02:34 AM EDT
I am a long-time shooter with a couple of ARs and several uppers, all with iron sights except for one flattop with scope.  I am interested in mounting some kind of red-dot optic on a defensive carbine, but I have one potential problem.

I see well out of my master eye but am almost blind in my other eye, to the extent that I will not be able to keep both eyes open and get the "floating dot" effect.  When I sight through a red-dot optic, I see essentially the same thing whether my off eye is open or closed.  It's just like I'm using a scope with no magnification and a red-dot reticle.

I've shot a Glock 35 mounted with an Optima, and I'm convinced that the red dot helps me get on target faster even though I may not be extracting the maximum benefit that a shooter with full binocular vision would get.  But perhaps I won't feel the same about a rifle with a red-dot sight (I'm leaning toward an Aimpoint M).

Here are various options I am considering:

1.  Get the Aimpoint.  You'll get at least some additional quickness and some added low-light sighting ability even if you don't extract maximum benefit from the sight.

2.  Forget the Aimpoint.  The extra money isn't worth the minimal added capability you'll pick up.  Use the scope for varmint hunting and the irons for matches and social work.

3.  Consider something else, like a Leupold Scout scope, which will have advantages over irons and doesn't require good binocular vision to be useful.

4.  Ask on AR15.com.  Surely someone else has already devoted some time to this issue and has figured out an approach.

I'll probably mount this on a 16-inch upper that will be my things-that-go-bump-in-the-night, SHTF, Independence Day gun.  I live out in the country and have no neighbors within sight of my house.

Any comments and suggestions welcome.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint will work fine using only your master eye.  it will still aide your target acquistion speed.  I think either Aimpoint or EOtech will serve you just fine.  One of my very personal friend is blind in his right eye, he had to retrian the way he shoots.  he runs an EOTech on his M4 equipped with an ARMS #50 SIR.  the sight works like a champ for him. he had Trijicon Reflex before he made the switch.

If you are looking for speed, the scout scope on the AR will not be as fast as the red dot.  and you will have to find a free float rail to mount your scout scope. I use a scout scope on a mini14, I still like the red dot better.

hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If you get a chance to...also check out the Leupold
CQ/T scope...works well as an illuminated dot scope with low 1X and 3X
The Leupold 1.5X5 with 30mm tube also works well..(but here wt might be a factor)
I am planning on getting a Trijicon variable
for the benefit of BAC and Tritium lamp in a more light wt package than the battery operated Leupies...
HTH
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top