Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/15/2003 4:02:40 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with these scopes. I've read glowing reports, but have never used one nor do I know anyone who has.

TIA,

Eddie
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:01:11 PM EDT
They kind of have a reputation for bad customer service, and some have reported problems with them. There aren't many dealers, and few places carry them, so this may say something. On the other hand, I've had one on my .700PSS for about 6 years with absolutely zero problems. I have never had it loose zero, I find the dual reticle "one-shot" zero to work well, I like that as you decrease the magnification the graduated reticle disapears. I haven't had chance to shoot at extended distances with it, but have taken more than my share of deer with it at various distances. It works for me. I do wish it had an internal level and lighted reticle. It also isn't the brightest glass I've ever used. Had I to do it over again, I may would still buy the Shepard. But then again I may just go with a good tactical scope with target adjustment knobs for elevation and windage, and click to adjust for drop at distance, etc. hershey
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:27:38 AM EDT
I've had a Shepherd on my SR-25 for about five years. Observations: 1: It is not an X-ring scope but it is a 10-ring scope if the shooter is doing his job. 2: For engaging multiple targets at multiple distances with a semi-automatic rifle, nothing else even comes close. 3: Customer service; absolutely the best. If you have a problem, Dan Shepherd will call you up and talk you through the problem personally. A whole lot better than the bureacratic responses I've gotten from Leupold over the last few years. 4: It is imperative to find a load that will track one of Shepherd's BDC reticles accurately. For instance; a 175 gr. Sierra parting company with the rifle @ 2,600 fps will track the P-2 reticle like it was wire-guided. 5: Unlike other scopes, the Shepherd's ranging capabilities work at any magnification; a BFD if you are looking at multiple targets at multiple distances. 6: The minute scales in the Shepherd work much better than mil dots for ranging. I'm still waiting to meet the guy, other than a Qunatico graduate, who can actually use mil dots effectively. Luck, SD
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:56:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2003 7:57:05 AM EDT by JayCeeNC]
About 10 years ago I witnessed one of our department snipers shoot at 1.67" 3-shot group at 500 yards with a Steyr SSG using .308 Federal Match ammo and a Shepherd scope. I was mightily impressed. I believe Shepherd uses the picture of my friend and his target in some of his advertising.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:03:41 PM EDT
I appreciate the responses. My local dealer had a 310-P1A on the shelf and said he couldn't sell it. He offered it to me at cost ($400 and change). I had read good things about them and really didn't want to fork over a grand for a Zeiss of Leupold so I took a chance. I hope to get a chance to try it out next weekend. Eddie
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:00:17 PM EDT
I saw their site and keep seeing there ads. It seems like a really nice scope. I just cant seem to fork over 700.00 for a scope yet. I am getting used to The one I have now. I know I am spoiled with with a 4" eye relief. Maybe as I get better and shoot more will I invest in one.
Top Top