Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 2:34:27 PM EDT
I was looking into a Shepard scope. I'm interested in the one shot zero thing,it sounds a bit gimmicky though. Anyone have any experiences with them?

Shepard Scopes Web Site
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Have had on on my Remmy 700 pss in .308 for years now with no problems.  For me the one-shot zero has pretty much worked.  It's not exactly one shot, but pretty darn close.  It's not the brightest scope though.  I've heard that Shepard can be a bear to deal with.  As yet I have had no reason to deal with them, and the scope has been in use for 8 or 9 years now.  I have had no problems with fit or finish, nor problems with maintaining zero.  For me it has worked as advertised.  It is all based on the ballistics of certain grain bullets at certain velocities.  If you very from these you will be outside of the inidcated ranging circles.  For this reason and the desire to have an illuminated reticle I have considered swapping mine out.  However due to lack of fundage and lack of justification to the wife I dont see it going anywhere in the near future.

-Hershey
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to understand what a Shepherd scope is and what it isn't. Don't worry about the one-shot zero stuff. You can zero the scope in a conventional manner if you prefer and it's really a secondary issue.

The Shepherd is NOT an X-ring scope. If you're looking for high scores on conventional bullseye targets in situations where you have time to twirl dials, look at something else. On the othe hand, if you want to put effective holes in multiple targets at multiple ranges, coupled with an auto-loading rifle, nothing else can stay with it. In contests where multiple steel targets are laid out at unknown distances, I've clanged every target with my SR-25 and have my mat rolled up and gear stored while all the guys with bolt guns and conventional scopes are still twirling dials, running bolts, and scratching their heads. But I ain't taking it to a Palma match.

The prior poster is also correct in that you need to determine whether or not your bullet/BC/MV combination will track one of the Shepherd BDC reticles. For instance, a 175 gr Sierra, parting company with the rfile right at 2,700 fps, in the climate I live in, will fly the P-2 reticle like it is wire-guided.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
They work well on big game...haven't tried the varmint one...

MT
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#4]
for the money i would go loopy M3
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one on my M1A, love it for what it can do.

It's been a while since I've read the owners manual so do quote me on this.  The scope actually has two recticles.  You sight in the "cross hair" (which is actually a circle, and you put the "circle" on the point of entry of your first round), and you adjust the other recticle so that it's "in line" with each other.  Pretty easy.

You can usually zero within a two or three rounds.

That being said, I would never buy another one due to customer service.  A very long story, but the first cope I bought was deternined to be defective from Shepards (sent to them to fix), and from there they were nothing but a pain in the a#$ to deal with.  Had to get another scope because the model I originally bought was out of stock (I believe their made overseas like most others).  Took over 3 months to "get it right".

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#6]
My Sheriff's Dept. had these on 2 Steyr SSG's in .308.
I personally witnessed a 1.67" 500 yd. 3-shot group made with this setup and Federal Match .308.
Our guys loved these scopes.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top