Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2008 8:39:58 AM EST
I have done a little looking around and have come up with very little information. I was woundering how good of quality shaw barrel's are vs. say wilson barrels. I found a kit minus the lower for $535 and it has a shaw barrel on it and i want to make sure its not a POS.

thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:43:45 AM EST
E.R. Shaw makes a decent barrel. Nothing extremely special about it but it is not junk.
I use one on a precision rifle and I get sub MOA accuracy out of it but YMMV. How it
compares to a Wilson I can not say as I have only had one of each and I did not like
the Wilson much, but that is all anecdotal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:49:45 AM EST
Both companies make decent barrel blanks and good quality barrels. In many cases though they only made the rifled blank and somebody else bought that blank and did all the work of profiling it, cutting the chamber, installing the barrel extension, crowning/threading the muzzle, etc. The best blank in the world is going to be worthless if some hack does a shitty job of all those finishing tasks.

So long as the blank was made into a usable barrel by somebody competent both are good to go and probably about equal.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:56:19 AM EST
Thanks for the quick responses gentleman. That is a very valid point that i didn't even think of hoplo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:22:10 AM EST
+1 hoplophile

i've seen ER Shaw barrels that shot great and were very cleanly finished, and i've also seen ones from some lower priced kit companies that had home depot roll pins used as index pins and looked like they were chambered with a rubber mallet and a dull chisel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:13:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/17/2008 9:16:40 PM EST by kstarr]
YHM's barrels look to be some of the cheapest I've seen. I emailed them, they said they are purchased from shaw and they flute, thread, and pin them in house.
Top Top