Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2005 6:34:06 AM EDT
I got a new barrel with no front sight. I was going to use it on an A2 receiver, and I had an old standard front sight from another barrel. So I took my old front sight, and just drilled up the holes, and put in four set screws and used Loctite to hold them in place. Will this be good enough, or  should I go for another solution?

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The set screws will be fine, just not too tight, will distort barrel. Also you could use loctite hi temp sleeve retainer. Recommend by many smiths.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think the biggest risk is that the FSB will get wacked good enough to move it out of alignment. The problem with set screws in aluminum is you can't make them very tight without the risk of stripping out the threads. Dimples in the barrel will help a lot, or best of all is if the set screws align with the existing taper-pin holes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Stealthy-

Front sight bases are made of steel, not aluminum.

Haittkaill-

Highpower shooters commonly put front sight bases on with setscrews.
The trick is that they also make little crescent shaped cuts in the side of the barrel for the secscrew to tighten against.
Usually you do two setscrews at the front that oppose each other, much like you did with 4 setscrews.
Then you put a 3rd setscrew that opposes the gas port.
Now you have a windage adjustable front sight base.
Once you get it adjusted, tighten the rear setscrew to that you are sealing the FSB against the barrel really good to eliminate gas leakage.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top