Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 6:30:59 PM EDT
There is a high power service match coming up this weekend in my area.  I would like to get back into competitive shooting and I need to know a few details.  I am very familiar with smallbore three position competition as I did this for three years in high school.  I have never shot high power though.  Firstly, I have a limited time frame in which to obtain the basic equipment needed.  I realize that I need a spotting scope, could I get by with a pair of 10x40 binoculars for the first match?  The match will be shot at 100 yards with reduced targets.  Are off-hand stands necessary during the standing position as in smallbore competition?  Is there something I could pick up locally to serve this purpose (i.e. Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot)?  And finally, I need a military type sling.  Is this the same as a target sling that attatches to your arm or more like the hunting slings that are used for "carrying" purposes?  Thanks for any help.  Feel free to add any insight you may have.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
anybody?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
100 yard reduced? You won't need binoculars at all. You can see things with your eyes alone.

No offhand stand needed. If you have a small stool you can rest the rifle on that between shots.

All you need is an old M-1 Garand web sling. Have somebody at the match show you how to set it up if you don't already know.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You need two magazines also, 20 round ones are best.  

Good shooting, let us know how you do!

Phil

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Competition forum HERE.
There's a service class FAQ at the top.

ETA:  Bring your binoculars for the first match.  If light conditions are bad or you have poor vision (like me) then you can have a hard time spotting hits in the black without help.

If When you find HP turns you on, look into getting a good spooting scope.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
You do not use a stand like in smallbore, if you cannot procure a stool a 5 gallon bucket will work upside down to rest your rifle on between shots on the offhand. A Garand type web sling would be the way for you to go for your first match, they are cheap enough for around 5.00. Don't know what the others are talking about but you will not be able to see .223 holes in the black at 100yds without some kind of scope or binoculars. For your first match you could get by without any optics as the first 10 rounds are usually sighters in a reduced course match but check your program.

Here are a few tips for your first match. 1 minute is a long time to get what you need done. Slow down in your rapids as almost everyone shoots too fast the first few times out. Breathe between shots, don't hold your breath. On the offhand if you cannot get the shot off in 5-10 seconds bring the rifle down and look away, take a few breaths and try again. If you have shot smallbore before you will be fine.

Good Luck

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#6]
FA, is correct.  I reread my post and I certainly was not clear on that matter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:All you need is an old M-1 Garand web sling. Have somebody at the match show you how to set it up if you don't already know.

Or read this.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top