Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2009 5:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2009 5:48:45 PM EDT by chapperjoe]
I got two of them a while ago and was accordingly wowwed by the output, lightweight, small size, etc.

They were my first LED weaponlights and I was really blown away by the nice beam.

Now the light collection is comprised of a mix of
2 G2, 1 G3, 1 E2D, 1E2DLED,1 G2LED, 1 6PLED, and a 6P and G2 with malkoff heads.

They are in a variety of mounts, vltor, LDI, larue and vtac.

My question basically compares a scout light to a G2 with a malkoff head.

The scout light requires a mount to offset, making the built in mount useless to me (unless on a FSB, but I'd have to buy a fsb mount anyway).  I've been forced to buy 2 DD offset mounts for my 2 scout lights AT ~35$ each.  I now have added the weight of a metal mount to a metal (albeit lightweight) light.  My two were the scout light kits which retail at ~500$ but more like 300$ once I sold the pressure switches and discounting the incan head which I could presumably sell too.  total cost per unit with mount, let's say .... 335$.

The G2 can be placed offset in any number of mounts, the most cost effective being the vtac at ~17$. the light itself cost ~35$, the head ~48$. Z49 33$, Z32 19$ Total cost 119$  

We can (and I bet we probably have, but I haven't hit the archive yet) argue about the beams and throw etc, but to me both have their plusses and neither is so dominant that I'd discount the other instantly.

So what does the scout light have going for it?

Lightweight and 'barely-there' small? not with the DD offset mount.
A dominant "worth 300 bucks" LED? can't say that.

so.............

Link Posted: 4/13/2009 6:13:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2009 6:15:40 PM EDT by DevL]
I wish Larue would start making the Surefire offset mounts again.  It is yet another reason I have stuck with my Gladius and not used a M600C.

It is the smallest and lightest traditional weaponlight and it has the best LED available too... you may prefer a shorter ranged floodier Malkoff but its still best in class in size, weight and power even some others equal it in some area.  But yes... it does cost too much.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 10:34:23 PM EDT
M600C has superior heat-sinking to any 6P module.
M600C is lighter.
M600C provides the largest and farthest-throwing hot-spot combination.
M600C is Surefire, if something breaks, they replace it no questions asked, no returned dead part necessary.
M600C is what I have, so it is better than anything you have unless you too have an M600C.
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 3:50:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 12_gauge:
M600C is lighter.
M600C is Surefire, if something breaks, they replace it no questions asked, no returned dead part necessary.
M600C is what I have, so it is better than anything you have unless you too have an M600C.

the z32 is soooo much worse, heat sink wise?

lighter with DD offset mount included?  I'd weigh that before saying it.

beam hot spot at throw distances - I'm gonna have to agree the scout could be superior.  that sucker is unreal outdoors.  the E2DL too.

Good call on the warranty.

And yeah this is arfkom, so the last point is actually valid too
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 10:11:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By chapperjoe:
Originally Posted By 12_gauge:
M600C is lighter.

the z32 is soooo much worse, heat sink wise?

lighter with DD offset mount included?  I'd weigh that before saying it.

beam hot spot at throw distances - I'm gonna have to agree the scout could be superior.  that sucker is unreal outdoors.  the E2DL too.

Good call on the warranty.

And yeah this is arfkom, so the last point is actually valid too

When you look at the average drop in lumens over 1-minute run time the M600 is in the single digits (my personal M600C dropped from 191 to 185L). For a pill running at over .8A, this is impressive. To me, this indicates very good heat-sinking. Much better than the P60 drop-ins usually manage.

When you go slapping mounts on things that are not stock, I can no-longer make claims as I am sure you could find a boat-anchor for the M600C, but an M600C with a stock mount is lighter than a 6P with no mount IIRC.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 7:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/15/2009 7:04:35 PM EDT by edwin907]
Order a Scout from Brighflashlights with just what you need but the bulb module, then get the Malkoff CREE LED 240 lumens and you're set!
Got a couple this way and they are perfect!
Ordering just the parts you need greatly reduces the cost to a more affordable level.
It's absolutely the best light available for a SBR in particular, and indispensable if you actually use the gun for home defense.

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:14:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/16/2009 12:15:28 AM EDT by 12_gauge]
Originally Posted By edwin907:
Order a Scout from Brighflashlights with just what you need but the bulb module, then get the Malkoff CREE LED 240 lumens and you're set!
Got a couple this way and they are perfect!
Ordering just the parts you need greatly reduces the cost to a more affordable level.
It's absolutely the best light available for a SBR in particular, and indispensable if you actually use the gun for home defense.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/KSA.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z238/edwin907/MRPa.jpg

But if you are going to do that, why not just go 6P?

The M600C is different from a 6P/M60 combo because of:
-further throw
-Lighter weight

When you go and get an adapter for it and an M60, you degate those reasons for going M600C
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 3:11:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DevL:
I wish Larue would start making the Surefire offset mounts again.  It is yet another reason I have stuck with my Gladius and not used a M600C.

Wait, what?  Is Larue no longer making the LT606?  Since when?

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 9:57:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By N2CH_556:
Originally Posted By DevL:

Wait, what?  Is Larue no longer making the LT606?  Since when?

The LT606 is not a scout mount.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 8:35:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2009 8:47:08 PM EDT by edwin907]
I like the Scout light mounting, bolted to a LT base it's as good as it gets, while still as trim a package as the incan head allows.
I've got a pair of Ps with Malkoff heads, and they do work as well, especially in the LT mounts (LT-606/707) and they are a bargain for the performance with the Malkoff head.

With proper mods (flat on shaft for adjuster screw, loctite), the Surefire offset adjustable mount for the Scout light works well, if you tighten it on the rail with a coin.

I find the Malkof head a bit bright for indoor use, but adequate outdoors. All things considered, I'd rather have more light than I need as opposed to too little.
But a flip up diffuser would be a good addition.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 4:18:50 AM EDT
The other day I too was deciding on which light to get, and possibly going with a drop in.  I decided to just go with the M600C.  I got a great deal on Ebay from a highly rated seller that sells  Surefire products.  It was $305 with free shipping, plus Paypal had sent me an 8% off coupon, so it brought my total to $280 shipped for a brand new in the box M600C.  Not a bad price I thought.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 9:42:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2009 9:44:14 PM EDT by M4-guy]
edwin907,
If you swap that LU60A bezel with a regular 6P bezel, you'll increase the Malkoff's spill noticeably.  Plut it'll take some weight off the end of that nice SBR.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 10:02:19 AM EDT
IMO, X300/XT07 is the hotness.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:30:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2009 7:33:34 AM EDT by SCHEDIO]
I to have many 3v, 6, 9v even converted 12v LED Heads on my Surefire 3P, 6P, 9P, with extension, M951, G2 LED, E2D, G2Z LED, M600A kit. 1 (came with KL4 head) etc.
I must say, the best of the bunch for spot and beam spread, are the X300 and SCOUT M600C (KX2C head).
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:32:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lilrascal:
The other day I too was deciding on which light to get, and possibly going with a drop in.  I decided to just go with the M600C.  I got a great deal on Ebay from a highly rated seller that sells  Surefire products.  It was $305 with free shipping, plus Paypal had sent me an 8% off coupon, so it brought my total to $280 shipped for a brand new in the box M600C.  Not a bad price I thought.

Good price? I think you stole it! I have been seeing prices around $425. Good grab.
Any other suggestions where to get the best deal on this light.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:54:57 PM EDT
I've decided to only use scouts on my A2 setups on FSB mounts....

Great lights objectively - light, powerful, tough -  but not bang/buck wise IMO.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:17:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By chapperjoe:
I've decided to only use scouts on my A2 setups on FSB mounts....

Great lights objectively - light, powerful, tough -  but not bang/buck wise IMO.

Which Scout 600 model are you running on your A2s? The 600C?
I am curious if the lower Scout models are plenty sufficient for home use.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:55:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2009 4:57:52 PM EDT by 12_gauge]
Originally Posted By Huskytaio:

Good price? I think you stole it! I have been seeing prices around $425. Good grab.

I wish your PM's or e-mail were working, I know where an M600C can be had a good bit below $425 MSRP as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:37:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Huskytaio:

If anyone else is interested this is the person I bought it from on Ebay  (Don't know how I got emailed the 8% coupon from paypal)

It was brand new in a factory sealed package, and arrived quickly.  I was happy!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:40:50 PM EDT
There are also some new M600C weaponlights on the New Equipment Exchange. Shameless plug
Top Top