Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2017 9:54:05 AM EDT
I see EOTech has stopped the direct buy back on 3/23/2017, but you can still send them in to the law firm Foster's till 5/23/2017. Anyone from here do that? I called the Foster's number and spoke to someone that obviously does not know anything and was just reading off a q- card. I'm a little weary on sending mine to them without a guarantee that I'll at least get the sight back if something falls through. I was told to just fill out the online complaint form, get a confirmation number and mail the sight to them? Then what? Is this legitimate? Safe?Any detailed information on that process would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I've tried but every time I send in the e-claim their site gives me an error.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I filled out two seperate forms on their site and got two sperate confirmation numbers, but after that it says no confirmation email will be sent to you. I don't want to just ship them off to the address and not know if they went to the right place or were even received? You can't really talk to anyone that knows anything when you call. What's the sense of this continuation if EOTech already stopped on their end? Was EOTech's buy back voluntary and if you go through Foster's you actually  part of the Class Action Lawsuit? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the same boat... I thought I had a bit more time to send in my sight. This news is unsettling.
Anybody else? Bueller?

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Sent mine in today to Fosters.  Will post any updates here.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
How did you send it? You ask for signature upon delivery? You receive any type of confirmation before sending besides the code? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did you send it? You ask for signature upon delivery? You receive any type of confirmation before sending besides the code? Thanks
View Quote
It goes to a PO Box so I just sent it via USPS Priority Mail with tracking but no signature.  I didn't fill out the web forum.  Just downloaded the pdf and filled it out by hand and included in the box.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It goes to a PO Box so I just sent it via USPS Priority Mail with tracking but no signature.  I didn't fill out the web forum.  Just downloaded the pdf and filled it out by hand and included in the box.
View Quote
I see where the website says "Claim Forms are available for download HERE" but I cannot see the link to the pdf.  I tried it in firefox and IE and don't see it in either one.

Can you post the url to the pdf?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I see where the website says "Claim Forms are available for download HERE" but I cannot see the link to the pdf.  I tried it in firefox and IE and don't see it in either one.

Can you post the url to the pdf?
View Quote
http://www.fostersettlement.com/DocumentHandler.ashx?DocPath=/Documents/L3_ClaimForm_3_14_17.pdf
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.fostersettlement.com/DocumentHandler.ashx?DocPath=/Documents/L3_ClaimForm_3_14_17.pdf
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see EOTech has stopped the direct buy back on 3/23/2017, but you can still send them in to the law firm Foster's till 5/23/2017.
View Quote

What a coincidence: EOTech stopped handling things directly the day before the Class Action Settlement Website went live.  Lawyers.  Gotta love 'em.

EOTech was refunding up to full MSRP on qualifying product, incl. $15 for shipping, no questions asked.  Near as I could tell: For most people the process was clean and simple.  EOTech owners were made whole w/o a lot of hassle.  I was one of them.

Class action initiated for... what reason, exactly?

Now EOTech owners that failed to move quickly enough get to deal with an intermediary that doesn't appear to be handling things nearly so smoothly.

I guess, as somebody who'd returned a pair of EOTech HWS', I'll automatically receive a pair of checks for $22.50. I didn't ask for that.  EOTech fulfilled any obligation they had to me when they compensated me, in full, for my potentially defective HWS'.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]
^^^  What he said.

Now I forsee sending your unit to Fosters. they settle the class action, get most of the money, then send you $187 for your unit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The linked form provides 2 options:

Send your sight back (A) and receive $299 to $1,179 cash payment (full refund or MSRP, whichever is greater) PLUS $15 shipping reimbursement PLUS $22.50 Product Voucher.

or

(B) Keep your sight and pick from these 2:
$100 L3 EOTech product voucher
OR
cash benefit of $25 - $50 (this will depend on the number of valid claims filed)
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I've filled out two seperate online  forms and received the confirmation numbers (no confirmation emails) but I think I'm going hold off mailing them to Foster's until close to the deadline. Its too early and I'm sceptical that they will be logged properly upon arrival.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Just found out about it yesterday a little peeved that they didn't send registered owners a notification but it happens. I called Eotechs technical support line and was able to get routed to a agent that was able to give me more info. He said that the refunds probably wont be in tell sometime past June after the fairness hearing. So did Eotech fix this issue on the newer made models? If they did I'm wondering why they just don't offer to exchange the sights for the newer versions?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got my EXPS-0 sight this January. My manufacture date is April 2016 and the website said sights before October 2016.
So sights made after October 2016 have an update? Is there a fix?
If so, I'd rather get a fix then be part of any classless action suit.
I tried calling EOTech multiple times this morning and left messages but no answer. I just want a fix if I really need one at all.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Guess i dragged my feet too long. oh well, I bought it at Brownells and can always return it to them if it fails.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just got my EXPS-0 sight this January. My manufacture date is April 2016 and the website said sights before October 2016.
So sights made after October 2016 have an update? Is there a fix?
If so, I'd rather get a fix then be part of any classless action suit.
I tried calling EOTech multiple times this morning and left messages but no answer. I just want a fix if I really need one at all.
View Quote
I'm in a similar position.  I have an EOTech 556 and found out about the whole issue on March 24 (literally the day after they stopped doing the EOTech direct returns).  I saw a facebook ad for the settlement.  I called EOTech and emailed them as well and both responses were "you are too late for returns, we will not exchange, and we will not repair any units."  Both on the phone and by email they just pointed me to the website for the settlement and said that was my option.  I actually like my sight - just figured since they've fixed 3 of the 4 problems I'd like to not have to worry about those.  Unfortunately, their response didn't exactly inspire confidence.  I'm considering going the return route with the settlement but I am concerned I might get less than I paid with the comments from others that have spoken to the settlement phone line.

It's kinda a bummer that I'm stuck with a sight that the manufacturer now refuses to support or I'm going to be stuck with an uncertain result and potentially a YEAR before getting refunded through the settlement...all because I missed the deadline by a day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys are members of this site and somehow haven't heard about this before? There's even a running 27 page EOTech refund thread that was created in this forum way back in 2015. You can't really get upset with L3 over the return system ending now, especially in light of the class action lawsuit (which I think is unjustified since L3 was offering full MSRP refunds) they're looking at.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/685501_EOTech_Return_Authorization_Reqest_wait_time_thread_.html
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You guys are members of this site and somehow haven't heard about this before?
View Quote
I might not have known about it when I did had one of my best friends not gifted me a 552, I posted about my good fortune on FB, and a FB friend told me about it.  Even then a hesitated.  I liked my EOTech HWS'.

My firearms hobby kind of goes in and out of my life, and, when it's "in," I'm sometimes into handguns, sometimes into shotguns, sometimes into rifles.

It's really too bad about the class action nonsense.  Apart from their originally having fouled-up and misled their customers, EOTech was doing the right thing, IMO.  All the lawyers getting involved accomplished was enriching the lawyers and inconveniencing EOTech customers, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Well damn! I submitted my request back in February and got confirmation a couple days later. I had the paperwork printed out and got it ready to ship but I put it in my desk drawer and haven't thought about it much. I'm tempted to send it to them anyway, but I may end up empty-handed if I do that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I got lucky! I contacted Sportsman's Guide just now and they are going to RMA it for full refund for me, free shipping, no restocking fee. This is why I've been a member/customer of SG all these years. I am relived. :)
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You guys are members of this site and somehow haven't heard about this before? There's even a running 27 page EOTech refund thread that was created in this forum way back in 2015. You can't really get upset with L3 over the return system ending now, especially in light of the class action lawsuit (which I think is unjustified since L3 was offering full MSRP refunds) they're looking at.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/685501_EOTech_Return_Authorization_Reqest_wait_time_thread_.html
View Quote
I hardly login here anymore, most of the members from when I was a "regular" and paid member have moved on. So, yeah - totally missed it. LOL!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm glad I sent in all four of mine, the last one couple of months ago for which I received a check last week
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not on this site every day.  Sent it in as soon as I heard about it, but that happened to be _after_ EOTech stopped accepting them.  So, I sent it to Fosters.  

Fortunately, only had one to send in because other types of weapon sights work better for me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 5:00:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What a coincidence: EOTech stopped handling things directly the day before the Class Action Settlement Website went live.  Lawyers.  Gotta love 'em.

EOTech was refunding up to full MSRP on qualifying product, incl. $15 for shipping, no questions asked.  Near as I could tell: For most people the process was clean and simple.  EOTech owners were made whole w/o a lot of hassle.  I was one of them.

Class action initiated for... what reason, exactly?

Now EOTech owners that failed to move quickly enough get to deal with an intermediary that doesn't appear to be handling things nearly so smoothly.

I guess, as somebody who'd returned a pair of EOTech HWS', I'll automatically receive a pair of checks for $22.50. I didn't ask for that.  EOTech fulfilled any obligation they had to me when they compensated me, in full, for my potentially defective HWS'.
View Quote
This.

I got my refund within a few weeks of sending my eotech in during the first month of the buy back program. As far as I'm concerned its been made right and a class action is pointless, except to line some lawyers pockets. Today I get a letter in the mail for this class action lawsuit. I tore it up and tossed it in the trash.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Received my refund when this all started.  Then, yesterday I got a postcard from Fosters asking me to join the class action suit..

It says I am part of the suit even though I was refunded
Not sure why, since I was refunded.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I get that some people may have been out loop and not heard eotech refunds but damn they were taking them back for over a year. Did they make a somewhat shitty product,yes. But shit they were giving back FULL refunds on old optics. It's bs this law firm is hitting people up for law suit when these folks got money back. I personally would keep optic before I send it to these clowns. These types of lawsuits take YEARS to settle and what your supposed to be out all that time without optic to get back $100 after they take their cut. I'll definitely buy it from you for $100 send it over my way
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#28]
I have two sights at Eotech now since Feb 17. I wonder if they will still send a refund?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got my refund within a few weeks of sending my eotech in during the first month of the buy back program. As far as I'm concerned its been made right and a class action is pointless, except to line some lawyers pockets. Today I get a letter in the mail for this class action lawsuit. I tore it up and tossed it in the trash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I understand and agree with your annoyance, but, if you looked at the terms of the class action settlement I think you'd find that, having previously received a refund from EOTech you're automatically in the "will receive a check for $22.50" group, unless you opt-out.  By tearing that up, w/o opting out of the settlement, you implicitly agreed to be part of the settlement.

Here is the relevant section from the landsharks' settlement site FAQ:

DO NOTHING
Get no payment or vouchers (unless you previously received a refund from EOTech, in which case you automatically will be sent a voucher for $22.50).  Give up rights to sue L-3 Communications. This means you will still be bound by the terms of the Settlement, and give up your right to ever be a part of any other lawsuit against the Defendant about the legal claims that are being resolved by this Settlement.
I'm going to go ahead and take the $22.50/sight, despite the fact I feel I've already been made whole, for two reasons: Opting-out of the class action means you explicitly reserve the right to sue, individually, later.  I know this is going to sound kind of stupid, but, it's the way the law works.  Each person that does that becomes a potential liability for EOTech/L-3.

EXCLUDE YOURSELF
Get no payment or vouchers.  This is the only option that allows you to ever be part of any other lawsuit against L-3 Communications about the legal claims in this case.  The opt-out form must be postmarked by or received by the Court before May 23, 2017.
From a corporate POV: $22.50/sight is a cheap way to dismiss that liability.  The second reason I'm going to take the money is the land sharks are going to get their cut, either way.  My opting-out of the settlement will make no difference to them whatsoever.

Ref. to above quotes: Andrew Tyler Foster, et al. v. L-3 Communications EOTech, et al.

Quoted:
Received my refund when this all started.  Then, yesterday I got a postcard from Fosters asking me to join the class action suit..

It says I am part of the suit even though I was refunded
Not sure why, since I was refunded.
Because lawyers and money to be made.

Disclaimer: IANAL, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express, last night.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I understand and agree with your annoyance, but, if you looked at the terms of the class action settlement I think you'd find that, having previously received a refund from EOTech you're automatically in the "will receive a check for $22.50" group, unless you opt-out.  By tearing that up, w/o opting out of the settlement, you implicitly agreed to be part of the settlement.

Here is the relevant section from the landsharks' settlement siite FAQ:

I'm going to go ahead and take the $22.50/sight, despite the fact I feel I've already been made whole, for two reasons: Opting-out of the class action means you explicitly reserve the right to sue, individually, later.  I know this is going to sound kind of stupid, but, it's the way the law works.  Each person that does that becomes a potential liability for EOTech/L-3.

From a corporate POV: $22.50/sight is a cheap way to dismiss that liability.  The second reason I'm going to take the money is the land sharks are going to get their cut, either way.  My opting-out of the settlement will make no difference to them whatsoever.

Ref. to above quotes: Andrew Tyler Foster, et al. v. L-3 Communications EOTech, et al.

Because lawyers and money to be made.

Disclaimer: IANAL, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express, last night.
View Quote
Fracking lawyers man. I didn't read the whole card because I already got my refund, but I didn't know that they could include me in their big cash grab without my consent.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah this sucks! I've sat on the fence and "thought about it" for over a year with my 2005 made 552. I've had zero issues since I bought it so I was always unsure about actually sending it in or not. But at the same time, I was like "hmmm, a full MSRP refund for a 12 year old sight?" To be honest if i would have done it I would probably just replaced it with a new Eotech to have a newer one.

But now with this class action lawsuit I am not going to bother. They promise the same full MSRP plus $15 shipping, but they are lawyers, and certainly plan to keep their fee as the new middle men. I don't want to send in a sight I have zero issues with to get a check for $300, which is my "MSRP refund after lawyer fees".
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#32]
From what I read, I believe the lawyers are paid differntly through EOTech the defendants and not by the plaintiffs (owners).The MSRP statement can be confusing because EOTechs all have different prices per model and year. Look at the list and match yours to the MSRP and that is what you should get Nothing less but slightly more if you have a receipt. Plus the $15 and voucher.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Guess i dragged my feet too long. oh well, I bought it at Brownells and can always return it to them if it fails.
View Quote
EOTech will fix it if it fails. Their CS has been solid IMO.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I just found out about the Eotech issue.  I spoke with Eotech this morning and didn't get a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling after speaking with the tech who explained why I shouldn't worry.  I'm pissed because Eotech didn't notify me of their refund policy!  Eotech lied and mislead the gov't.  They put  our troops and law enforcement people in jeopardy with defective and dangerous equipment.   I'll send my XPS2 back to the lawyers.  Re: an earlier post..."MSRP refund after lawyer fees"....I don't see anywhere in the claim form where there will be lawyer fees.  My interpretation is that I'll get either what I paid or MSRP.  I have my receipt and that's fine with me.   I understand the thought about lawyers and agree in general but I think we'll get back what we can prove we paid.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#35]
You will get at least MSRP based on the model and  year of your EOTech or what you paid for it. You will have to provide a receipt if you paid more than MSRP. I'll take MSPR any day and be happy. You also get $15 to cover your shipping cost and a $22.50 voucher towards a new EOTech if you choose.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You will get at least MSRP based on the model and  year of your EOTech or what you paid for it. You will have to provide a receipt if you paid more than MSRP. I'll take MSPR any day and be happy. You also get $15 to cover your shipping cost and a $22.50 voucher towards a new EOTech if you choose.
View Quote
Even if I have to now send it to Foster's directly instead of Eotech?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#37]
I filled this out online today, am I supposed to receive an email before I ship it back or what? I copied the claim # but it would be smart of them to send confirmation emails, wishing I sent mine back when Eotech was handling it like my brother did. Also good news is I emailed Eotech awhile ago asking if I should include my GG&G mount since I didn't have the original mount and they said it was ok to send it without the OG mount or GG&G.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#38]
That's my  million dollar question! You get the confirmation # and then what? Ship immediately  or can I wait to hear back all is good and then ship once the settlement is ends? A paper trail is very important,  but you don't get one with foster's. I'm not shipping anything unless I know I can get it back if this whole lawsuit falls through or is not what they claim.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I get that some people may have been out loop and not heard eotech refunds but damn they were taking them back for over a year. Did they make a somewhat shitty product,yes. But shit they were giving back FULL refunds on old optics. It's bs this law firm is hitting people up for law suit when these folks got money back. I personally would keep optic before I send it to these clowns. These types of lawsuits take YEARS to settle and what your supposed to be out all that time without optic to get back $100 after they take their cut. I'll definitely buy it from you for $100 send it over my way
View Quote
I may be a bit out of the loop, having had some physical problems that took most of my attention, but I never saw any recall notice until recently I saw the one about the class action.

I think if EOTech would have sent me post card or posted an ad in a gun mag I would not have missed it

griff
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#40]
FYI, next step ...

23. WHEN AND WHERE WILL THE COURT DECIDE WHETHER TO APPROVE THE SETTLEMENT?
Answer:

The Court will hold a Fairness Hearing at 9:00 a.m. on June 30, 2017, (the “Fairness Hearing Date”), at the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri, Court Room No. 7D, 400 E 9th Street, Kansas City, MO 64106.  At the Fairness Hearing, the Court will consider whether the proposed Settlement is fair, reasonable, and adequate.   The Court will also consider Class Counsel’s request for fees, costs and expenses.
If there are objections to the Settlement, the Court will consider them.   After the Fairness Hearing, the Court will decide whether to approve the Settlement and how much to award to Class Counsel as fees, costs, and expenses.
The Fairness Hearing may be moved to a different date, time, or location without additional notice, so it is recommended that you periodically check this website for updated information.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#41]
What if you, oh, I don't know,  just maybe keep the optic?

Since this has been a thing for a while now.

You guys sometimes
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I sold two 552's to other members that had no issues and I kept my EXPS3. I still like EOTechs and I'm glad I didn't send any of them to Foster's. Good luck if you did!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top