Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2002 10:14:47 PM EDT
I'm not clear on the legal details of this. If I built an AR from an 80% receiver can I ever sell it? If so, what if I "home" built 100 and sold them?
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as you didn't originally build it for purposes of resale, you are free, at some later time, to sell it like any other personal firearm.

If you made 100 and later sold them, I think the ATF would have a pretty clear-cut case that you intended to sell them from the start, unless you held onto them for a REALLY long time, and shot and used them all extensively.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:16:45 AM EDT
[#2]
It can be sold after being built, as long as the that was not the intent of making the item.  Circuits is right, though....selling a bunch of them would get the attention of the Bureau of All Things Fun.  Perhaps you should try and invite your friends and other over and have them make their own instead.  (of course, IANAL.)
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I was under the impression that a home made weapon could not be sold, loaned, transfered, given away, or inherited. Is this selling thing somewhere in writing?
-Ray
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
There's nothing on federal books that says you CAN'T sell it (if that was not the original intent of making said item), dbl check local laws.  However, you may have trouble finding an FFL to do a transfer.  
I don't plan on selling any of mine, just to avoid any more potential headaches.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's legal for you to build it, it's legal for you to sell it.

If you build the gun with the intent to sell, you have already committed the crime.

It's called unlicensed manufacturing.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top