Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 3:25:47 AM EST
I’ve been milling over the idea of selling my screw together Bulgie AK74 rifle to help fund the purchase of another AR. I have only shot the AK twice for a total of 450 rounds since it was built, since then it just sits in the back of the safe.

My main interest lays in AR’s and I’d really like to build another, possibly a full size 20” to go along with my M4gery and my sons GAU-5 .22 clone. The AK is nice but just doesn't interest me any more. Mrs. Quib says I just need to shoot it more and my interest will return. If I sell it she says I will later regret it.

What do you guys do in these situations?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:31:42 AM EST
i traded my Sten MkIII parts kit for an LPK and sold my Mauser to go towards a bolt for my AR but both of those i didnt really care for...an AK74 of course is alot different. you say you don't really like it? wow...anyways i say if you really dont think you'll miss it, then get rid of it. if i had a 20" A2 with my 20" A1, i'd definatly trade you for it as i LOVE AK74s lol...i think you'll probably be happy if you get a 20" A2 or A3...full size rifles are very nice and arent as big as anyone would think...when i first got my SP1 upper, i was so surprised by its size (the only other AR15 i had ever held/shot was a post-ban 20" A2 a very long time ago).
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:47:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
...full size rifles are very nice and arent as big as anyone would think...when i first got my SP1 upper, i was so surprised by its size........

I'm thinking along the lines of a 20" A2 or an M16A1 clone. It would be nice to have a rifle similar to what I used in the Army. My unit made the transition from A1's to A2's so either would be nice to own.

I don't know, like I said I'm milling over the idea..........but something is going to tip me in either direction soon.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:53:16 AM EST
Yipper, that is how I fund most of my projects either selling FIrearms or jus various parts

As a matter of fact, I jus built this one yesterday (Sp1 clone w/M16 upper). But im already thinking of selling all the A1 stuff (buttstock, pistol grip and upper minus bolt) to build a MidLength surpressed AR. Its the circle of life. lol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:23:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By die-tryin:
Yipper, that is how I fund most of my projects either selling FIrearms or jus various parts

www.hunt101.com/img/287532.jpg

As a matter of fact, I jus built this one yesterday (Sp1 clone w/M16 upper). But im already thinking of selling all the A1 stuff (buttstock, pistol grip and upper minus bolt) to build a MidLength surpressed AR. Its the circle of life. lol.

That rifle looks great! I saw your thread on that build and that's where I started thinking about a A1 clone, nice job!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:26:10 PM EST
I use to, but I know try not to. I have found that if I sell one I only wish later I had it back.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:40:01 PM EST
I have sold damn near everything for my AR. Then I have changed configurations so many times (in the process again now) that I have sold all of my extra parts and more to keep the funding going. They don't call it Black Rifle Disease for nothin!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:24:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 4:33:09 PM EST by thedr13]
Yes, I do sell guns I own to get something else. It's kind of like a hobby. I'll buy a gun and shoot it for awhile and find something else I want and sell or trade for something else. I love to buy, sell and trade. I only do business with friends though. I will not put things in newspaper adds, for instance. I can not stand to have "IDIOTS "calling me that want to come to my house and look at the weapon. I made that mistake back in the late 80's and early 90's. I will keep GOOD weapons that are quality. One place I worked had a bunch of shooters and almost everyone had a gun or two that I used to own.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:42:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By QUIB:

Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
...full size rifles are very nice and arent as big as anyone would think...when i first got my SP1 upper, i was so surprised by its size........

I'm thinking along the lines of a 20" A2 or an M16A1 clone. It would be nice to have a rifle similar to what I used in the Army. My unit made the transition from A1's to A2's so either would be nice to own.

I don't know, like I said I'm milling over the idea..........but something is going to tip me in either direction soon.

if you get an A1 you will be very happy with it...i am...mine is a slab side and i just think it's sooo beautiful! i've never had any problems where i needed the forward assist yet either...it all depends on what you like though...i love the old school look of an A1 or SP1...
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:44:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 2:45:34 PM EST by mb3]
Quib,
I sold my AK to get money for a scope and rings for my flat top AR. My AK was a good weapon but I dont miss it at all. My flat top is a tack driver!
MB
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:51:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 2:51:45 PM EST by mongo001]
Speaking strictly about ARs, I very rarely sell a lower, but I'll try to sell the upper and buttstock, if I can, to fund something else. I also recycle parts to build other things, if possible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:30:44 PM EST
I sold something like eight firearms to buy my M16. I usually always sell one firearm to buy another. As long as you take the money from the sale of a firearm and buy another one, you're okay. Just don't ever sell a firearm and spend the money on something besides another firearm!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:28:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By mongo001:
I'll try to sell the upper and buttstock, if I can, to fund something else. I also recycle parts to build other things, if possible.

My lowers evolve into other weapons all the time. They always have the same heart.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:38:42 PM EST
HELL YEAH - Do it, I have! (but only when I don't "lose value" on the sale.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:04:53 PM EST
Add me to the "hell yeah" list.

10 years ago, I traded in my tec-9 to buy a Colt AR15 9mm. Lost money on the tec9, but it was worth it in the long run!

Just sold my ORF '74 to help fund AR accessories (Aimpont, mount, BUIS, etc.)

Scott

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:05:02 PM EST
If it's an AK variant, dont even ask. Just get rid of it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:15:37 PM EST
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:22:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 6:35:29 PM EST by mongo001]

Originally Posted By M4Madness:
I sold something like eight firearms to buy my M16.

Let's just say, and fantasize, that I was in a situation to get an M16 at some ridiculously low price, like $4k............................I know, it'll never happen, but it is my fantasy.........................then I'd think real hard about selling something, or somethings, to afford it, not just guns either..............cars, trucks, wife, house, whatever it took.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:30:36 PM EST
I sold guns to take professional training (down to G17,OA15M4, S&W442 now)
- and I don't regret it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:09:50 PM EST
Sold a Sig P226 to get into my first AR. I only shot my Springfield XD-9 SC anyway as it was now my carry weapon. The Sig was just collecting dust.

Handguns are a tool only too me. Rifles I just really enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:21:52 PM EST
No.

If I can't afford to play...I stay out of the game.

The only firearms I sell are ones that I bought and didn't like for some reason or another.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:12:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By mongo001:

Originally Posted By M4Madness:
I sold something like eight firearms to buy my M16.

Let's just say, and fantasize, that I was in a situation to get an M16 at some ridiculously low price, like $4k............................I know, it'll never happen, but it is my fantasy.........................then I'd think real hard about selling something, or somethings, to afford it, not just guns either..............cars, trucks, wife, house, whatever it took.

I bought mine in Dec... Saving for a while, a little 0% CC advance.. But I didnt sell anything..
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:12:53 PM EST
Yup, BTDT. Sold my Romak SAR-1 to fund some AR goodies last year.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:08:13 PM EST
Never. Never sold a gun, especially to buy another.

Really.

However, I'm running low on kidneys, blood, lungs, testicles...

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:20:47 PM EST
I sold a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk .44 and a bunch of parts I had sitting around to get my Uzi and mags.
I dont regret it, the pistol was nice but just not for me anymore. So I sold it to my stepfather

Years ago I sold a Ruger Mini-30 at a gunshow to cover rent when my wife was in the hospital.

For some reason Its only been Rugers Hopefully it ends at that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:11:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 11:13:55 PM EST by BIGDUKESIX]
The only gun I have ever sold is a ingram mack 11and that was beacuse it was a useless piece of shit. All the other firearms I have purchased over the years I would never sell. I would keep your ak if You sell it You will more likley than not end up just buying another one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:37:41 AM EST
I have a Norinco MAK-90 I do not shoot much. I would sell it but no one wants it. The first time I shot it the wood stock split and broke where the srews hold it to the reciever after only a couple mags. What is that their using, some kinda weird Chinese Pine/Balsa hybrid? Since I had to replace it I put on a longer "NATO" polymer stock. It helped with the feel of the rifle, but my arms are long, so it still feels too little. Shoot a few rounds through the AK before shooting the AR and there is NO comparison. You can actually hit things you aim at with the AR.
I would say if you find someone to take the Bulgie off your hands, and you do not shoot it, Do Not Hesitate. SELL! Get some more mags and ammo for your AR. Or another AR or two.

Or three...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:28:21 AM EST

If I sell it she says I will later regret it.

I agree with her on this. I regret selling every reliable, functionaL firearm I have ever sold. I wish I had kept them all, except the lemons. If it is a good, reliable rifle, if there is anyway possible, keep it and save up for the new rifle. If there is another ban in the future, and it ends up being a banned weapon, you may also regret selling it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:00:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By _DR:

If there is another ban in the future, and it ends up being a banned weapon, you may also regret selling it.

That thought also ran through my mind.

But lets hope not!

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:03:14 PM EST
I would like to add my 2 cent. When I was 21 I sold my first handgun a Sig P230 to a friend of mine to fund trhe purchase of my Glock 23. Now six years (and six guns later) I have contacted the friend I sold it to, who is unwilling to sell it back even for over twice what I sold it to him for. Just trying to say don't sell your gun you will regret it as I do and feel that my collection is incomplete.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:17:15 PM EST
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Made that mistake befor and my gunsafe is getting empty.........not the way I want to go. My thinking is never sell your guns. One day who knows when you will be glad you kept it and save what you need to get what you want.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:33:00 PM EST
In fact, I am doing such a thing right now!

HERE

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:32:41 AM EST
I will never sell a gun EVER. I would probably starve to death before I would sell any of my guns. My dad never sold any of his and passed them on to me once I got old enough to shoot, and I will in turn pass them on to my kids. Just save your money.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:02:45 AM EST

If you are thinking about selling it, you probably don't want it that bad. Go ahead and sell it and buy what you really want.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:25:48 AM EST
I traded a glock for an ARMS rail system and a surefire light. I felt good about it. Im not a fan of glocks and bought it on a whim.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:43:47 PM EST
no
Top Top