Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/16/2006 3:11:32 AM EST
I feel like this probably isn't the right place for this questiion, but I cant find another thread/forum on this board that sounds like a better fit, so if this needs deleted or moved, please do so

Question is: when selling a gun online, and not being a dealer, what things should you do to cover your @ss ? If a FTF sale, seems like no hassle. but if you have to ship - Do you have to ship to an FFL..? if so, is there any paperwork that you as the seller need to do?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:22:52 AM EST
First you will need to make sure the weapon you are selling is legal for the buyer to own. Second you will need a copy of the out of state dealers FFL. Then your clear to send the weapon to the FFL. Do not send to the buyer. I maintain all emails concerning the transaction along with any documents pertaining to the sale.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:29:35 AM EST
ok - sounds simple. - What do I need to do, to relieve myself of the being tied to the gun in the future? See I own the gun legally and it is registered to me at this time?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:39:33 AM EST
The weapon is shipped to the FFL. Once it arrives he should contact the buyer who will then fill out the 4473 as if he was purchasing the weapon from the dealer. Now the weapon is in the buyers name. When I sold out of state I attached a letter to the rifle addressed to the FFL, informing him who the rifle was being sold to and the buyers contact info.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:52:03 AM EST
If the police were to ever contact you about a recovered weapon all you have to tell them is who you sold it to so they can contact him. It would be good to know the seller's name. The police should have an affidavit or report for you to sign that releases you from the gun from a legal standpoint.

With a face to face in-state transfer it would be prudent to write out a simple receipt for the buyer to sign and maybe have his contact information on it just in case, but if you don't have any legal history, they'll probably believe you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:11:30 AM EST
When you ship the firearm to the FFL please include a GOOD enlarged photocopy of your drivers liscense and maybe any state issued purchace permits that you hold. This helps him identify you for his bound books. Also include contact info of the purchaser. ie ...Name and phone#
Invariably, through lack of comunication, every couple of months I would recieve a firearm and have no idea where it was supposed to go or where it come from and had to wait for the phone call "where's my transfer at, he sent it 12 days ago?" Just my .02. Jerry
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:11:42 AM EST
cool deal - Thanks all
Top Top