Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2003 5:30:48 PM EDT
I just purchased a Bushmaster Target rifle in the A3 configuration (20" barrel) about the first of June, now today I found a pre-ban Colt Sporter Match HBAR 20" A2 for sale. I originally wanted to purchase another preban Colt but the prices where just to high in my opinion since I already owned one preban Colt rifle. However today I found one for $1195 in excellent condition. Should I take the offer of $760 for a trade on my new rifle towards the purchase of the Colt or just keep the Bushmaster.

I'm only interested in purchasing the Colt because I still question whether the AWB will be renewed in 2004. I'm not buying the rifle for resale value.

Thanks in advance,
Leadfoot
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I would take a Pre Ban over a Post Ban any day of the week !!! [bounce]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, hopefully I'll get some other opinions as well. I know the Bushmaster is a good rifle but I keep thinking this might be a good opportunity if the ban gets reinstated.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Not worth it. The bans going away and your just going to lose money (ie paying more for a pre-ban instead of buying pre-ban parts to install on your post ban 9/14/04)

CRC

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The Pre-ban wont shoot any better.

Its your choice
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
In my opinion, the only time a pre-ban is worth half the money they cost is if you wanted to put a collapsible stock on a carbine version.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
AR15's aren't investments - they're rifles.

If you want an investment - buy a tax-free municipal bond.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
On the drive home I started to question the deal. I like the idea of having another pre-ban rifle but if the ban goes away I can just buy another upper. Plus the only difference between the Bushmaster and Colt is the flash hider and the bayonet lug. The 1/7 twist was also another reason I started to consider the trade but I only stock and shoot 55gr ammo so the 1/9 will suit my needs. I just wanted some words of wisdom from other owners to confirm my decision. So it looks like the Bushmaster still has a home. The Bushmaster came with the new carrier which covers the firing pin.

Thanks for the replies.[beer]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Maby if it was a BM for a BM : )
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Not until Sept. 13, 2004
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
How often will you use the bayonet on the preban? When  and if the AWB sunsets, you can have a flash suppressor threaded on the Bushy.
I'd keep the post ban and since it's a flat top, spend the money on an acog instead of a bayo lug and flash suppressor. If the AWB sunsets and you can't live without the cosmetics, you can always buy a new upper.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep the bushmaster,and are the new carriers more reliable or does it matter?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as your state doesn't have it's own AWB that won't expire keep the Bushy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm going to keep the Bushy. I'll call the dealer in the morning.

Model927, the heavier carriers are closer to true M16 carriers without being an M16 carrier.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:56:54 AM EDT
[#14]
The Ban is Never Going to just Go Away !!!!

And anyone that think it is must be living in some third world country.

Let's just hope it does not get worst !!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:14:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Ban is Never Going to just Go Away !!!!

And anyone that think it is must be living in some third world country.

Let's just hope it does not get worst !!
View Quote

I see you post this message a lot and I feel it's time to address it: the current ban is going away.  That's a fact.  It will expire.  However, new legislation is being introduced that make things for us much worse.
So, are you just sitting there telling us the sky is falling or are you doing something to help prevent any new ban from being passed?  
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess I'm just sitting here waiting for the Sky to fall !!!

There is Nothing You, Me or anyone else on this board will be able to do to make any difference!!!!

Send all the Letters and email's you want = Waste Of Time !!

Just have to wait and hope the sky does not fall to hard on us!

What Ya Think !!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sorry you feel that way.  I hope others on the board don't give up that easy.  I can't take that approach...even if the odds are stacked against us I still believe we need to fight.  I'm not sure what state you live in but I've received very encouraging letters from my Representative and both Senators.  They may be double talking but I have to keep writing and calling and yes, even though I live in a third world country, emailing [;)]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Prebans are nice, but not really worth the premium.  I had a Colt Match Target (large-hole) a while ago and had no love for it.  It'd be hard to tell if that Colt is a deal without more information, but I would recommend against selling or trading any gun, especially a nice Bushmaster.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In my opinion, the only time a pre-ban is worth half the money they cost is if you wanted to put a collapsible stock on a carbine version.
View Quote

Yep.  The only reason I bought a preban was to have a legal collapsable stock.  If I wanted a standard 20" I'd just save my cash and go postban with a fake flash suppressor fitted for looks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a few older ponies in the stable. They are all outstanding guns, even if they do have sear blocks and large trigger pins[B)] Accurate, reliable, excellent fit and finish. I think the preban Colts are a better-built gun than both current Bushmaster and current Colts.

If it were me, I'd get the preban Colt in a heartbeat.

Prices are coming down a bit as some folks are wanting to beat the possible ban expiration. But even if the federal ban expires, some states (including NY) have their own restrictive legislation. Thus, prebans will still have more value in some markets.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
AR15's aren't investments - they're rifles.

If you want an investment - buy a tax-free municipal bond.
View Quote

I have to respectfully disagree. Some rifles ARE investments. Ever hear of a 1941 Johnson? I recently bought and resold one with enough profit to buy me a free preban Colt. Not a bad days work.

I also know a person who bought and sold enough preban stuff to finance a new Barrett 82A1. The market is what you make of it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#22]
SP10, I know how you feel about the quality of the preban Colts. I only own one preban rifle and it is a Colt sporter and I believe the quality and finish of the rifle exceeds the other Bushmaster rifles I own. But after choosing to buy the postban Bushmaster I'm having a hard time justifying paying $450 after trading in a new 20" A3 Bushmaster for a preban Colt. If you look at how many rifles Bushmaster sells in a single year compared to the number of preban Colts sold in any one year before the ban you will see as I did that the Bushmasters is doing a great job of quality control based upon the numbers produced.

I hope the AWB goes away because it is a no win situation for the buyer, and if it doesn't then I'll have another story about the deal that slipped through. [beer]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#23]
If you don't want to get the Colt, PLEASE e-mail me the name and address of the dealer who has it for sale.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I like BM as well. I have a Varminter which is an excellent shooter, and a couple BM uppers which are also very good shooters. Either way, you come up roses[:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top