Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2005 6:14:29 PM EDT
I have a Bushy Patrolman. About a month and a half ago I sent it back to Bushy for the lower to be replaced due to finish issues. They were supposed to take my parts and swap them to a new stripped lower. They did not. They sent me a brand new complete lower. Cool. Brand new parts Since getting it back I have put almost 1000 rounds through the rifle with not a single hiccup...... BUT since I got it back I noticed that the selector has a nice good click into safe but just goes into fire with no click whatsoever. I could have sworn the old lower had a good click into safe and fire. Well today I let my buddy shoot it and he mentioned it. I tried the selector on his Bushy and sure enough it nicely clicked into both fire and safe. Is this normal? Or could it be a problem? Is there any way to remedy it? Tweak? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I just had a thought. My rifle has a Hogue grip that Bushy installed when they swapped my lower. Since they didn't switch any of my lower parts I wonder if they used a new Hogue grip as well. I heard of one guy who had a Hogue that the hole for the safety detent spring was drilled too deep. I wonder if maybe the hole in the grip is slightly too deep and not putting enough spring pressure on the detent to get a good click into fire. Should I try to put the stock A2 grip on and try it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag, I built a rifle, (haven't fired it yet,) but has the same issue, rifle goes to "Fire" but there is no click.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Should I try to put the stock A2 grip on and try it?

Yes

(check it out, I answered a troubleshooting question!)

Yeah but I already came up with a solution to my own problem J/K thanks. I'm gonna switch grips tommorrow. If it turns out to be the Hogue I'll call Bushy and have them replace it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:16:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#6]
As far as I could tell it looked like they sent me a brand new complete lower. There wasn't wear on anything.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Just switched grips. With the A2 grip installed it clicks into fire and safe. The problem is with the Hogue grip. Actually if I loosen the grip screw a bit it clicks into fire which tells me the hole wasn't drilled too deep but rather too shallow. I tried to drill it a little deeper but it didn't seem to work. I will call either Bushy or Hogue tomorrow and get in replaced.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Check the Selector switch detent and spring to see if it is installed properly and that the spring was not kinked when they installed the pistol grip.

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Like I said I switched to the A2 grip and everything was fine. The detent and spring were in correctly. The hole in the Hogue grip is not drilled to the proper depth.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Also check to make sure the selector is not just rubbing on the grip when you push it down.  I have 7 sets of Hogue grips on my rifles and all worked perfectly except the one on the Colt.  When in fire the selector would rub on the side of the grip doing just as you describe.  Five minutes work with a razor blade trimming a little of that side of the Hogue grip fixed it once and for all.  I bet the spring hole is just fine and it is the selector that is rubbing the grip.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll check but I think its the hole. I inserted the spring in the A2 grip and counted 7 coils sticking out of the grip. In the Hogue 10 coils were sticking out. Off topic: Hey Bigbore wasn't it you that posted pics of shooting at 1000yrds? If so would you be able to e-mail me those pics. I was telling a buddy about them and can't find them on the site any more. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Just tried the Hogue again to check clearanc ebetween the selctor and the grip. It seems like it may be hanging up a bit but regardless I will see if Bushy will replace it. I really dont want to have to trim it. I have had a couple of other Hogue grips and never had this problem.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought that as well. I guess it must be hanging up on the grip.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I contacted Bushy about it. As always top notch customer service. They said they would get a new Hogue in the mail right away and they immediately sent me a return label for the old one via e-mail.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'll check but I think its the hole. I inserted the spring in the A2 grip and counted 7 coils sticking out of the grip. In the Hogue 10 coils were sticking out. Off topic: Hey Bigbore wasn't it you that posted pics of shooting at 1000yrds? If so would you be able to e-mail me those pics. I was telling a buddy about them and can't find them on the site any more. Thanks.

Not me,  the longest I have shot with my .50 is 500 yards.  You might be thinking of ADCO's BigBore whereas I am Big-Bore.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:21:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep your right I forgot there were two Bigbore's sorry.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I am experiencing a similiar issue with a Hogue grip right now. My safety selector is very sloppy. I have to investigate further but I did not experience the problem until I put a Houge grip on my DPMS lower and I have had the lower for almost 5 years and approx. 8k rds. now without any probs whatsoever. Maybe this is why the Hogue cost $3. The A2 grip is too small for my hand and sucks when shooting for extended periods of time.  I will let you guys know the outcome here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Well the Hogue grip was the culprit. The selector must have been slightly rubbing on the grip. I got a new Hogue today and the selector clicks positively into both safe and fire.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top