Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 3:46:19 PM EDT
While assembling my Stagg lower with Model 1 parts kit, I slipped the selector into position and installed the detent, detent spring, and pistol grip. All seemed well until I noticed the detent is not fully engaging the selector. It seems like the detent isn't going all the way home into the groove on the selector. Now I can't get the detent or the selector out of the lower becuase they are partially engaged. How in the hell do I get this thing apart without destroying the lower?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Dave

[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert but after removing the pistol grip and spring, I would try wiggling the selector until the detent backs off enough to remove the selector. Maybe a few GENTLE taps from the right side might help.

Good luck. I had some harrowing moments with a Model 1 pivot pin whose hole was drilled a little too deep. I had to get a dental pick to get that one un-stuck.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same issue with a stag lower... funny... I had two lower parts kits, and the other one's detent worked just fine... So I think some lower kits just have some poor QC on detent sizing.

Anyway, its easy to get out... just get a small allen wrench or anything and tap it out from the top.... inside the selector hole.  You may have to tap on the selector to get it out.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help. I'm just a little ginger about using any force on the lower. Guess I need to get physical with this thing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#4]
dfgunner,

Set the selector halfway between 'FIRE' and 'SAFE' before you tap the selector out. This pushes the detent pin down and makes removing the selector easier.

BTW, have you tried out that 14.5" barrel yet?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I built up a DPMS lower the other day and had the same issue. Take out the detent and use a small precision rat tail file and remove a small amount of material in the hole, then try it again. Small burrs witl cause the binding you are experiencing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:09:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I experienced the same problem with a Rock River Arms lower and Model 1 Sales kit.  I taped the lower with a rubber hammer.  I tried a detent I had as a spare and it worked with no problems.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I experienced the same problem with a Rock River Arms lower and Model 1 Sales kit.  I taped the lower with a rubber hammer.  I tried a detent I had as a spare and it worked with no problems.

Mike

Yep, which is why I would rather file on a detent, rather than the lower.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top