Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/14/2003 4:19:27 PM EDT
I recently bought an SGW Pre-Ban and noticed it has a selector switch stop next to the 6 O'clock position to prevent the rifle from being switched to a 'full auto' position. Called Oly and they said they (nor SGW) ever put those stops on, but I've seen them on a couple other rifles.

Anyone seen these? What's the best way to cut it off (if I ever wanted to buy a DIAS some day) ? Is there any particular reason the manuf. would put one of these on?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:41:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 11:21:48 AM EDT by Dorsai]
Despite what they told you, I believe that SGW/Olympic did build them that way as my pre-ban SGW has the pin and I've seen others as well. As to the purpose, well at one time there was not the big concern about M-16 fire control parts in AR-15s. Many years ago my first Olympic came with an M-16 hammer, trigger, disconnector, selector switch and bolt carrier. The stop prevented turning the selector to FA. When ATF decided that putting M-16 fire control parts in an AR-15 was an attempt to build an illegal MG, everyone switched to the AR specific parts and the pin was no longer necessary. Edited to add, for the benefit of any alphabet readers, I replace the parts with the proper AR15 parts, sold the M16 parts to a dealer at the next show and in fact, sold the rifle itself several years ago.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:31:00 PM EDT
I'll have to check and make sure this thing doesn't have any M16 parts; it was an old A1 when I bought it so it's entirely possible. Is there any grandfather provision for rifles built with M16 parts, or will I need to strip them out completely if I find them?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:39:05 PM EDT
You'll need to replace or modify them. Modifications include cutting off the autosear hook on the hammer and the tail on the disconnector. If the selector is M16 you'll also have to grind off the cam that pushes down on the disconnector tail. All in all, its easier to get new parts and bury the old ones.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:28:36 AM EDT
The sales guys at Oly should be asking their supervisor before they spout their garbage. SGW/Oly definately made their lowers that way for a while, I know this to be fact. Had owned/sold many of them this way. Some with the SGW logo, some made for other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:50:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2003 6:50:59 AM EDT by Cobb]
I had [b]EXACTLY[/b] the same experience as Dorsai. Replaced and sold the FA parts as well. Still have the rifle though.[8D]
Top Top