Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2013 1:45:24 PM EDT
I've been running aimpoints (PRO & T-1) for the past couple years and am interested in picking up an ACOG.  I'm at the point now where I'm still researching to determine exactly what will meet my needs, gathering info, etc.  

I've been perusing the Trijicon site, looking at options, and doing some reading here and was hoping some of you might chime in and offer your advice and opinions.

My budget is right around $1300-$2000 give or take.

This is primarily for range use at 100 or 200 yard distances (The closest would probably be 50 and the furthest would be 600) or maybe use in some sort of SHTF scenario.

I noticed on the Trijicon site that they offer options with an RMR already built in, what do you think of the ACOG with an RMR on top?

Of the models available on the Trijicon site I seem to like the very basic TA01, TA02, and TA31 models.  Any thoughts or opinions on those?  I noticed that the TA02 has a different mounting solution for the RMR that seems better and it runs on a battery.  Between those 3 models, I'm not sure which way I lean.

What are your thoughts on reticle?  So far, I seem to like the crosshair BDC reticles but I've never used one before in practice so was hoping for some more informed opinions.  To use the BDC, do you need to zero at a particular distance for them to be accurate?

Any other thoughts, opinions, or advice would certainly be helpful.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I like and use the TAO1NSN with a red dot on top.  Due to astigmatism I can't use a dot at more than close range.  The dot is perfect for close, fast work and/or especially for multiple targets at less than 100 yards.  I use the ACOG for more precise work, distance, or is ok for a single target closer in.  

Remember ACOGs are set in meters not yards.  If not zeroed in meters then the build=in bullet drop markings will be off past 200.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
The 4X model ACOGs have the least eye-relief so if you do not shoot nose to charging handle, it may not be best for you. I prefer the 3X or the 3.5X models.

I have never tried the RMR but it's a viable option and it's within your budget. Consider a 45 degree mounted RMR also.

My favorite reticle is the cross-hair or the horse shoe.I dont like the chevron. I prefer red reticle color. Green works best in lower light and in tan, desert areas.

Also, in your stated budget, you may consider a good 1X4 or 1X6 scope although not as durable as an ACOG but may be more flexible. Consider looking on the EE for a used ACOG. Get a Larue mount.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I shot an older TA01 crosshair dot for about 8 years on my 3 gun rifle... and recently switched to the TA31F with red chevron... I do shoot nose to charging handle, so the eye relief has never been a problem... you need to shoot with both eyes open to get the full benefit from the illuminated reticle and the BAC.. I too, have a pretty bad astigmatism, and dot scopes do not present a round aiming point, but the chevron is in clear focus.. you need to work with the sight for up close targets, as you are on target and ready to shoot, waiting for your brain to give you the go ahead...I like the chevron as it is a very uncluttered reticle.... the stadia lines subtend 19" at indicated distance, so you have a 10" upwind hold off without counting mil dots... at Ft Benning in 2010, I had to hold approximately 15" upwind on the 10" MGM flash target at 415m
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Find some place that has a bunch in stock and look through them first then decide.

I went through cross hairs and red chevrons and red donuts and finally the green circle dot of the TA44SG and the green horseshoe of the TA33 (got rid of the TA33 red horseshoe)
were what I found to be the best for my particular needs/wants.

Ya gotta try em or buy em sell em and try some more.....looking at someone else's is much cheaper....
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Find some place that has a bunch in stock and look through them first then decide.
View Quote
+1 this is what I did.

Before I went to look at them I really liked the cross hair reticle, but once I got it in my hands the cross hairs looked like shit to me. Then I picked up the chevron reticle, and it was great, and I am now saving up for one. I also prefer the reticle colors of red, and the rmr on top is great. It is fully ambi on top, but will need some practice to get good at which is what you should be doing anyways.

ETA: The model I want is the TA31F.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the responses, opinions, and advice so far.

My situation is a lot like MarkHatfield or lasnyder above:  I just can't get a good focus on a RDS.  Its fine for really close but at even short-to-moderate ranges the dot is more of a "star" than a dot.  I've been using the "look through BUIS peep" trick to get the dot to crisp up a little bit and I've been just "dealing with it" for a while now and its time to try something new and learn something new.  I'd been wanting an ACOG for a while now anyway

I always shoot nose-to-charging-handle anyway so hopefully the eye relief won't be a problem.

I'll certainly follow the advice on trying to find some different reticles at my LGS and look through as many as I can.  However, I'm putting one of these on the ole Xmas list so I've to at least take an educated guess as to what I might like.  At this point I'm leaning towards the crosshair, possibly the chevron.  Color I seem to like red.  My eyes are used to the aimpoint so "red" just seems more instinctive.

With regards to different mount options for the RMR, I suppose I could purchase one of the ACOG/RMR combo's like on the Trijicon site and then, if I didn't like it on top, pull off the RMR and remount it at 45.  I've never researched mounting options like that so that would be interesting.

Another question I have is regarding the new TA02 versus the other models I'm looking at (TA01, TA31)....

That new LED TA02 is powered by a AA battery which is different than the others and it mounts the RMR further forward.  Anyone have any opinions on the TA02 versus the TA01/TA31?  What are the differences between the TA01 & TA31?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
my older Desert Storm vet TA01 has a cross hair with central aiming (tritium lit) dot that appears black in the daytime... the 200m stadia line is too close to the dot... biggest difference is that the reticle is not fiber optic illuminated, and though still in the principal focal plane, the brightly illuminated aiming point of the TA31F is much easier to utilize the Bindon Aiming Concept... you track moving objects, or for most game players, move the scope, and track the aiming point at 1x, and when the motion stops, the brain determines whether to switch to 4x or keep it at 1x if you shoot fast enough.... on the 31F, the 200m stadia line is omitted, as it is the vertex of the empty space produced under the  chevron... the 300m stadia line's 19" bracketing width is the width of the chevron's legs, and  a simple vertical line... the longer distances are similar to the TA01's reticle...where they subtend 19" at the indicated distances...the BDC is calibrated to this distance (of a man's shoulder width), but also gives you an excellent 10" (actually 9.5") hold off for wind
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the responses, opinions, and advice so far.

My situation is a lot like MarkHatfield or lasnyder above:  I just can't get a good focus on a RDS.  Its fine for really close but at even short-to-moderate ranges the dot is more of a "star" than a dot.  I've been using the "look through BUIS peep" trick to get the dot to crisp up a little bit and I've been just "dealing with it" for a while now and its time to try something new and learn something new.  I'd been wanting an ACOG for a while now anyway

I always shoot nose-to-charging-handle anyway so hopefully the eye relief won't be a problem.

I'll certainly follow the advice on trying to find some different reticles at my LGS and look through as many as I can.  However, I'm putting one of these on the ole Xmas list so I've to at least take an educated guess as to what I might like.  At this point I'm leaning towards the crosshair, possibly the chevron.  Color I seem to like red.  My eyes are used to the aimpoint so "red" just seems more instinctive.

With regards to different mount options for the RMR, I suppose I could purchase one of the ACOG/RMR combo's like on the Trijicon site and then, if I didn't like it on top, pull off the RMR and remount it at 45.  I've never researched mounting options like that so that would be interesting.

Another question I have is regarding the new TA02 versus the other models I'm looking at (TA01, TA31)....

That new LED TA02 is powered by a AA battery which is different than the others and it mounts the RMR further forward.  Anyone have any opinions on the TA02 versus the TA01/TA31?  What are the differences between the TA01 & TA31?
View Quote

BAC... Ability to shoot with both eyes open. I wont have one without it, its awesome. I have a Ta33 and a 31.  For less than 100, the 33 is better and faster.  For over 100 the 31 is better.... And from your post sounds more like what you want. My only real complaint with the 31 is it has a pretty far out min focus distance, and so the reticle is blurry when you are shooting close up. Its not as fast at cqb either because of the larger field of view ... Yes i know that sounds backwards but its because of BAC... Youre using your naked eye and your eye thats through the glass... Up close the smaller 3x 33 excels. My fav reticle color is amber, and even though one of my acogs is in red, i wouldn't get it again, id do amber or green in that order. Definitely try to see one before you purchase jsut to get a feel for it. Quality of glass and construction is nothing less than exceptional.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all.

Looks like, based on the responses here, I'm leaning heavily towards the TA31.

I just need to decide which reticle will be best for me, and whether or not I want it with the RMR.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks all.

I just need to decide which reticle will be best for me, and whether or not I want it with the RMR.
View Quote

ta31f owner here.

i would save the money and not get the RMR.

Watch the EE - several team guys with ta31s for 800$ or so.

good luck!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
ta31f owner here.

good luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks all.

ta31f owner here.

good luck!
This

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top