Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/13/2013 3:33:56 PM EDT
I just asssembled my first AR-15 using Rock River Upper and Lower, with a 18" Wylde Chambered Heavy Barrel - I understand I can use 5.56 or .223 ammo, but suspect that one type or the other will chamber "best".  Also suspect that someone out there can recommend a particular round that will be more accurate at distances beyond 200 meters.  With the heavy barrel I assume I can use a hotter round to improve accuracy at distance.  Any thoughts or recommendations?  I bought 1,000 rounds of Federal XM855LC1, 62 grain, FMJ for plinking and range but want to identify the most accurate round for hunting deer[.  Thanks in advance .
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Where are you hunting the Deer, Woods Brush or flatland prairie hills ??  Distance of usual shot?

I'll suspect it is legal to use .223 cal. there

I'd suggest lots of trigger time with the rifle and load at a variety of distances to improve the odds of quick recovery(Deer).

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#2]
the most you can go is 72 grain scenars. or smk.   the 77 grainers are overal too long and do not seat well that far down to fit into the overal length needed to feed from am auto..    Bolt actions handle them fine..

you will find the 1/8 wyld will chamber most and unless you are trying to eek out 4-6 hundred yards you wont see MUCH difference..    trigger time makes the world of difference..
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I hunt deer with a bow here in Ohio.  I've never hunted with a rifle, but doubt I would use something as small as the AR-15 round at distances greater than 200 meters.  But then, I don't know much about the ballistics of the .223/5.56 round.  I'm primarily interested in accuracy out to 200 meters.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
the most you can go is 72 grain scenars. or smk.   the 77 grainers are overal too long and do not seat well that far down to fit into the overal length needed to feed from am auto..    Bolt actions handle them fine..

What?  There is plenty of 77gr factory ammo using the Sierra bullet as well as using the 75gr Hornady bullet.

For accuracy in factory loads I'd probably try some Federal Gold Medal Match in both the 77gr and 69gr varieties as well as similar loads from Black Hills.  Try some Hornady 75gr loads also, but IME they don't generally compare to the Sierras... just all depends on what your particular barrel likes.

Also should be fine with lighter weight bullets at 200m, plenty of accurate loads using 50-55gr match OTMs out there.  Common for most of the match competitors to use the lighter weight loads for 200yd stages.

1:8's generally give good results with anything from 50-77gr, but again it's just what your individual barrel is going to do best with, which you have to try to find out.  That's the nature of barrels.

Some bullet ogive's may give you sticky ejection of live rounds from an AR15 type rifle with a true Wylde chamber.  That will go away as the barrel gets just a little throat erosion, probably just a few hundred rounds in a stainless barrel.  Sierra 77s didn't stick for me but Hornady 75s did just a little, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my rifles has the same barrel you have. Mine likes the Black Hills 69gr Smk loads. Best i've done was a 5/8" group at 200yds benchrested YMMV.

As others have said, i would get plenty of trigger time before hunting deer with .223
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine prefers the 69 BTHP match from Black Hills.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#7]
62g Barnes TSX is what I use in my 1:8 for deer.  It holds MOA out to 300y which is as far as I've tested it.

For a target shooting round the Sierra 69g is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Black Hills 77M will shoot great out to 600Y.I shoot 80 grain .223 in my 1/8 wylde and can stay in the game with the 308 in high power at 600.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#9]
69gr -77gr SMK for  clover group , could be used for SD as long as there isnt any barriers

Bonded Soft Points,TSX,Nosler Partition, Bear Claw , ETC  would be best used for hunting WT deer and for HD and SD

Ball or FMJ  M855/M193,wolf  would be best  used for range use.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top