Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2014 7:15:58 PM EDT
Is case-neck sealant necessary, or is it just military dogma done for the sake of tradition and "That's how it's done!"?

I understand how sealed primers matter, but sealed case-necks? Doesn't neck tension against projectile accomplish sealing?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess it depends on where you store them and shoot them.  If under water then YES it is needed.

I have loaded thousands of rounds and never done the neck or primers, never had an issue and some of my stuff is from the late 80's that i loaded.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Not needed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it necessary to hold the projectile in place - no.  However a water immersion test is required to meet most military specifications - and without sealant, not many rounds would pass.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
One way to answer is that if you want to meet the spec, you follow those requirements and most mil-spec ammo requires sealant as well as having neck tension force requirements that reflect the sealants.

Another way to answer is when there is a clean sheet of paper out, which doesn't happen very often, would we have skipped the sealant? Probably not for bulk mil-spec ammo for small arms.

In a few cases where weapon systems are known to have very clean conditions, one could ponder skipping it. That (skipping it) almost never comes up when we are talking about the wild variety of storage conditions and logistics that come up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes because this is how most ammo in a war zone ends up.

Yes that's russia.... but still.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]
sheldonap90, your picture is worth 10,000 of my words......
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I want it all...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top