Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2005 8:59:00 PM EDT
Is it a practical way to mount a scope, or is it only for those with fixed carry handles?

What are the pros and cons for both methods of mounting?

ETA: Got pics?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
compact acog!

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:01:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is it a practical way to mount a scope, or is it only for those with fixed carry handles?

What are the pros and cons for both methods of mounting?

ETA: Got pics?

it isn't the best way but it works...I used to mount a scope on CH for a while.

of course compact acog are better
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:04:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Why wasn't it the best way?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:17:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Awkward or nonexistent cheek weld, extreme height over bore makes the trajectory rather loopy and requires massive ammounts of offset/holdover on short range targets. The rifle also balances poorly.

I would only consider using that setup with a Compact ACOG, because they are light and mount very low. That setup  is actually pretty nice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:22:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Combat Jack, you've helped me with almost every question I ask on this site.  You are a wealth of information.

Posters like you make ARFCOM great!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:54:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Combat Jack, you've helped me with almost every question I ask on this site.  You are a wealth of information.

+1

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Combat Jack is certainly right about what he says, but there are some folks here who do use a scope on the carry handle w/o too much trouble.  The two main problems are eye relief--on anything that's very long, your face will end up at the back of the buttstock--and the height over the bore.  You can't do anything for the latter, but choosing the right scope can minimize the eye relief problem.  

Sticking to a short scope of 10" or so, and finding one that doesn't require 4" of eye relief, would be the best solution IF you can't afford an ACOG.  

Burris makes a Fullfield II in 1.75x5 that's fairly short, and it's under $200 if you want to experiment.  If you didn't like it, you could sell it in the EE and not take too much of a beating.  

Also, Sightron has a fixed 4x S2 model that's only about 9" long, and only weighs 9oz...you might check into that one as well.  

I don't have an ACOG, but I can see why it would be the ideal solution to the carry handle mount problem...but it does come with it's own problem, the "holy SHNIKIES is that thing expensive" problem.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Combat Jack is certainly right about what he says, but there are some folks here who do use a scope on the carry handle w/o too much trouble.  The two main problems are eye relief--on anything that's very long, your face will end up at the back of the buttstock--and the height over the bore.  You can't do anything for the latter, but choosing the right scope can minimize the eye relief problem.  

Sticking to a short scope of 10" or so, and finding one that doesn't require 4" of eye relief, would be the best solution IF you can't afford an ACOG.  

Burris makes a Fullfield II in 1.75x5 that's fairly short, and it's under $200 if you want to experiment.  If you didn't like it, you could sell it in the EE and not take too much of a beating.  

Also, Sightron has a fixed 4x S2 model that's only about 9" long, and only weighs 9oz...you might check into that one as well.  

I don't have an ACOG, but I can see why it would be the ideal solution to the carry handle mount problem...but it does come with it's own problem, the "holy SHNIKIES is that thing expensive" problem.

when i first started getting into ar's i was the same way..........

........couldnt justify a $800-1000 scope, was even hard to justify a $400-500 aimpoint.

now after two aimpoints and my third acog i cant justify buying anything less
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone that doesnt think height over bore is an issue hasnt used there scopes around cover.

NICE exposure usually, especially when clearing the bore to prevent putting a round into something much closer to you than the target you intended.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:01:14 AM EDT
[#11]
It isn't the ideal location , but it is workable
out past 30 yds or so .

Then there are times when it's done just for
that old school look :

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:06:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Is the carry handle mount stable enough to hold a full size scope from shaking loose and stay in zero?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Is the carry handle mount stable enough to hold a full size scope from shaking loose and stay in zero?

if you buy a quality carry handle mount, yes. look for the ARMS or Smith Enterprise mount
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top